The library is re-opening on Wednesday 22 July 2020 with reduced hours initially – see schedule below. There will be changes to its operation to protect the health of everyone.
- Hand sanitising: Customers must use the sanitiser provided before entering the library.
- Borrowing: The library will be open for self-serve book borrowing and return.
- Computers: Computer use is limited to 30 minutes and must be pre-booked online or by telephone.
- Events: There will be no weekly events, story times or regular meetings on the premises until further notice.
- Fines: We stopped charging fines for overdue items from 1 April 2020
- Food and drink: Teas, coffees and refreshments/foods not to be consumed on the premises.
- Online resources: Our online resources, including weekly story times, continue to be available. See our full range of online resources.
- Printer: Printing, scanning and photocopying will be self-serve, customers must sign up to a Papercut account and have the correct change to use these services.
- Toilets: Public toilets will be closed.
As part of a major refurbishment in early 2015, Sandal Library was redesigned in consultation with The Alzheimer's Society, becoming the districts first fully dementia friendly library.
The layout includes subtle design features which are specifically incorporated to make it easier for people living with dementia to use.
The download section on this page has more information on the features we integrated into the design.
We are proud to offer Tovertafel, a magic table stimulating both physical and emotional activity encouraging social interaction that creates moments of happiness for people living with dementia.
off Barnsley Road
01924 303 355
Wednesday||10am - 1pm|
Friday||1pm - 4:30pm|
Saturday||10am - 1pm|
Resources and Services
- Access to a wide range of books and more for all ages
- Local and family history collection
- Children's section from toddler to teenager
- 2 computers with internet access
- Free WiFi
- Printing and scanning facilities
- Self-service check-outs Tovertafel -
- Programme of weekly activities for all ages School and group visits welcome - temporarily suspended
Reminiscence lounge with local history slideshow - temporarily suspended
- Accessible facilities, induction loop, dementia friendly Accessible toilets - temporarily closed
- Car park opposite library