Castleford Forum Library and Museum
Following the recent announcement from the government on COVID-19, all Council museums are closed until further notice.
Pontefract Castle grounds and toilets will remain open to the public during the hours as currently advertised and the café will be serving takeaway food and drink. The Castle play area will remain closed due to waterlogged ground conditions.
Sandal Castle grounds will remain open to the public during the hours as currently advertised. The Castle Café has confirmed it will close during the lockdown period.
For further information visit http://bit.ly/CoronaWFD
Due to the introduction of the new national lockdown we will be operating a reduced service from Tuesday 5 January 2021.
- Borrowing: Order books for collection (please call the library on the number below for more details)
- Computers: 30 minutes computer access for essential purposes only. Pre booking is essential. Please call the library to book your slot or do it online.
- Printing: Printing and scanning will be self-serve for pre-booked users only. Customers must sign up to a Papercut account and have the correct change to use these services.
- Joining: You can join the library without proof of identification. Join online or call your library.
- Fines: We stopped charging fines for overdue items from 1 April 2020
- UK Visa services: Available at Wakefield Library by appointment only.
- Online resources: Our online resources, including weekly story times, continue to be available. See our full range of online resources
When visiting the library you should wear a face covering if you can and must use the sanitiser provided before entering the library.
Monday||10am to 3pm||
Tuesday||10am to 3pm|
Thursday||10am to 3pm|
Friday||10am to 3pm|
Saturday||10am to 3pm|
What's on >>
In 2013 the old two story Carnegie Library at Castleford was transformed into an open plan three story Library and Museum. The library covers the two lower floors of the building, on the top floor
the museum captures the history of Castleford, from the Bronze Age to the modern day. A brief history of the Carnegie Library at Castleford is available in the downloads section on this page.
Resources and Services
Access to a wide range of books and more for all ages - Call the library for order and collect service
Local history collection - Call the library for order and collect service
Digital microfilm readers - temporarily suspended
Children's section from toddler to teenage - Call the library for order and collect service
7 computers with Internet access - Essential use only
pre booking is essential
Free WiFi - temporarily suspended
Printing and scanning facilities - For pre booked computer sessions only
- Faxing - temporarily suspended
- Self-service check-outs - temporarily suspended Programme of weekly activities for all ages -
School and group visits welcome - temporarily suspended
- Accessible facilities, induction loop Toilets and baby-change - temporarily closed
- Car park nearby at Aire Street