From Monday 12 April Libraries will be open for browsing and book borrowing, computer use and bookable study space. An order and collect service is also available.
We are operating reduced hours and activities in order to be Covid-19 Secure so that you can visit and use the library with confidence.
- Face Masks: You should wear a mask if you can.
- Hand sanitising: Customers must use the sanitiser provided before entering the library.
- Borrowing: The library will be open for self-serve book borrowing and return.
- Computers: Computer use is limited to 30 minutes and pre-booking is advised
- Events: There will be no weekly events, story times or regular meetings on the premises until further notice.
- Study Space: One hour bookable study spaces available in most libraries - contact your local library to book.
- Fines: We stopped charging fines for overdue items from 1 April 2020
- Joining: From 1 October 2020 you can join the library without proof of identification.
- Food and drink: Teas, coffees and refreshments/foods not to be consumed on the premises
The first 'free' public library in Pontefract was built with money donated by the famous philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The Art Nouveau building was officially opened on 21 September 1905. The current library was opened in 1975. The old Carnegie library later became
Pontefract Museum. See the downloads section for a brief history of Pontefract Library.
We are proud to offer Tovertafel, a magic table stimulating both physical and emotional activity encouraging social interaction that creates moments of happiness for people living with dementia.
Monday||10am - 4pm||
01977 727 692
01977 727 695
Tuesday||10am - 4pm|
Wednesday||10am - 4pm|
Friday||10am - 4pm|
Saturday||10am - 4pm|
| First floor open firstname.lastname@example.org|
Resources and Services
- Access to a wide range of books and more for all ages
- Large local history collection with 2 microform readers
- Children's section from toddler to teenager
4 computers with internet access - 6 for general use, 2 for teenagers -pre booking is advised.
Bookable study space
- Free WiFi - temporarily suspended
Printing, fax and scanning facilities - For pre booked computer sessions only
Programme of weekly activities for all ages -temporarily suspended
School and group visits welcome -
Accessible facilities, induction loop
Meeting room to hire -
small meetings with social distancing measures may be possible – please contact the library for details
Baby changing facilities -
Parking nearby around town centre