Due to the introduction of the new national lockdown we will be operating a reduced service from Tuesday 5 January 2021.
- Borrowing: Order books for collection (please call the library on the number below for more details)
- Computers: 30 minutes computer access for essential purposes only. Pre booking is essential. Please call the library to book your slot or do it online.
- Printing: Printing and scanning will be self-serve for pre-booked users only. Customers must sign up to a Papercut account and have the correct change to use these services.
- Joining: You can join the library without proof of identification. Join online or call your library.
- Fines: We stopped charging fines for overdue items from 1 April 2020
- UK Visa services: Available at Wakefield Library by appointment only.
- Online resources: Our online resources, including weekly story times, continue to be available. See our full range of online resources
When visiting the library you should wear a face covering if you can and must use the sanitiser provided before entering the library.
The first 'free' public library in Pontefract was built with money donated by the famous philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The Art Nouveau building was officially opened on 21 September 1905. The current library was opened in 1975. The old Carnegie library later became
Pontefract Museum. See the downloads section for a brief history of Pontefract Library.
We are proud to offer Tovertafel, a magic table stimulating both physical and emotional activity encouraging social interaction that creates moments of happiness for people living with dementia.
Monday||10am - 4pm||
01977 727 692
01977 727 695
Tuesday||10am - 4pm|
Wednesday||10am - 4pm|
Friday||10am - 4pm|
Saturday||10am - 4pm|
| First floor open email@example.com|
Resources and Services
- Access to a wide range of books and more for all ages - Call the library for order and collect service
- Large local history collection with 2 microform readers - Call the library for order and collect service
- Children's section from toddler to teenager - Call the library for order and collect service
4 computers with internet access - 6 for general use, 2 for teenagers - Essential use only, pre booking is essential.
Designated quiet zones for study - temporarily suspended
- Free WiFi - temporarily suspended
Printing, fax and scanning facilities - For pre booked computer sessions only
Programme of weekly activities for all ages -temporarily suspended
School and group visits welcome -
Accessible facilities, induction loop
Meeting room to hire -
small meetings with social distancing measures may be possible – please contact the library for details
Baby changing facilities -
Parking nearby around town centre