​​​​​​Charitable collections

Street collection licence

It is illegal to hold a street collection without first getting a street collection licence from the Council.

You will still need a licence when collecting, for example, from a shop doorway or car park rather than on the street.

Applying for a street collection licence​

Apply online here​.

To apply by post or in person, please follow these steps:

Once the collection is finished, you must tell us the result. You can do this by using the online notification form.

Make sure to include a letter of authorisation from an appropriate officer of the charity on their official letterhead.

If your street collection is part of an event you plan to hold in Wakefield City Centre, you will need to fill out an "Application for consent to hold an event in Wakefield City Centre."

For this process, you will need to contact the Specialist Markets and Events Team via email at: specialistmarketsandevents@wakefield.gov.uk.

Please keep in mind that approval of your street collection licence does not automatically guarantee approval for renting a space, and vice versa.

​​House-to-house collection licence

Conducting a house-to-house collection without a licence from the Council is illegal.

Certain large charities may be exempt from obtaining a permit, but most small local groups and organisations must have a licence before they can collect money or items for later sale door-to-door.

Applying for a house-to-house collection licence

Apply online

Guidance notes​​

You must notify us of the result (to include total proceeds collected) within one month of the expiry of the licence. This can be done using the online notification form.

You should consider:

  • that the total amount likely to be used for charitable purposes is adequate in proportion to the amount likely to be received
  • whether the grant of a licence could lead to an offence being committed under the Vagrancy Act 1824
  • whether you have supplied enough information as may reasonably be required to determine your application

Unlike street collections, there is a statutory right of appeal against the refusal to grant a house-to-house collection permit. In this case, the right of appeal is to the Secretary of State, and the grounds for refusal are set out in the Act.


There is no fee for a street or house-to-house collection licence.

Consumer Complaint

If you want to complain about a street or house-to-house collection you should first contact the trader, preferably by sending a recorded delivery letter.

If that doesn't work you should contact the Citizens Advice Bureau​.

Contact Us

Licensing Office Wakefield Council Wakefield One PO Box 700 Burton Street Wakefield WF1 2EB Opening hours: Monday to Friday 10am - 3pm

Help us improve wakefield.gov.uk

Select how useful the page is
Back to top