Bonfire problems

Smoke from bonfires can be annoying. Although simply having a domestic bonfire is not an offence, allowing the smoke to cause a nuisance to someone else can be.

Bothered by Smoke, Dust or Smells

We have produced a leaflet Your Neighbour, Your Choice which explains your options for dealing with neighbour complaints, but if you are affected by smoke, dust or smells from domestic or commercial premises then contact us for help.

What action will the Council take?

We aim to provide the most suitable response to each complaint received.  In most cases a simple advisory letter is all that is required, but if this doesn't work then our officers will investigate to see if legal action using statutory nuisance powers is required. See our guide: What is a Statutory Nuisance?

If the fire is dangerous call the Police / Fire Brigade on 999

Contact us

Customer Services

Wakefield Council
Wakefield One
PO Box 700

0345 8 506 506