Council Tax Support

Use this form to apply for help towards your rent and/or Council Tax.

Have you recently made a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance (income based) or Income Support? If so, Jobcentre Plus may have already completed a claim with you.

Two women getting information from a laptop

If you are pension age why not use our online calculator to see how much you may be eligible for before you apply?

If you are working age please use our step-by-step guide to see how much you may be eligible for before you apply

About Council Tax support

Council Tax Support is for people on a low income to meet some of the cost of Council Tax.

There are two Council Tax Support schemes, a pensioner scheme and a working age scheme. You are normally of working age if you have not reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit.

If you are a couple and one of you is a pensioner and one of you is of working age, in most cases your support will be calculated using the working age scheme.

Working age people

From 1 April 2020 our working age Council Tax Support scheme has changed to an income banded scheme.

You are not entitled to Council Tax Support if you and your partner have more than £16,000 in savings.

Pension age people

The Government has set rules we must use to calculate Council Tax Support for applicants of pension credit age. If you qualify for State Pension Credit, you will be eligible to claim support for your whole Council Tax bill. The amount you get will depend on your income and circumstances.

You are not entitled to support if you and your partner have more than £16,000 in savings, unless you are getting Guaranteed Pension Credits (PCGC).

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate can only be claimed by people who have reached State Pension Credit age. It is another way you may be able to get some help with paying your Council Tax.

If you have someone over 18 who is sharing your home you may be able to claim. It is not based on the money you have, but on the money people who live with you have.

To be classed as a 'second adult', the other person must not be:

  • liable to pay Council Tax at the property
  • a joint owner or tenant with you
  • your partner
  • living with more than one person who is liable for Council Tax.

If Your Circumstances Change

It is important that you tell us if your circumstances, or those of your household, change. If you don't, it may mean you are losing out on money you are entitled to, or you could be being paid too much.

If you are paid too much you will be asked to pay this back.

A change in circumstances could include:

  • starting or losing a job
  • someone moves in or out
  • you move to a different address
  • you start or stop receiving other benefits
  • any other change to your income or savings

These are just a few examples. To report a change visit our change of circumstances page.

If the change affects the amount of Council Tax you pay we will send you a revised bill.

Help us improve

Select how useful the page is
Back to top