Report a damaged gully or manhole cover

To report a missing gully or manhole cover, or a dangerously damaged cover, please call 0345 8 506 506 now. Our 24-hour telephone service will deal with these cases immediately.

Please do not report emergency cases through MyAccount as this will delay getting the team to the location.

a work man putting a rod into a street gully

Before you start your request

For non-emergency cases, you will need to tell us:

  • Where the problem is
  • Whether it's a manhole or a gully
  • The size and shape of the manhole or gully

Please note use this form to report non-emergency cases of a damaged or missing gully or manhole cover.

What is a gully?

A highway gully is a drain in the ground covered by a metal grid and is usually at the kerbside of a road. Rain water flows off the road surface into these gullies and then through underground pipes and sewers. The majority of gullies are connected to public sewers that carry both foul and surface water.

What is a manhole cover?

A manhole cover is used to stop anything or anyone from falling into a service shaft. They are usually round and found on roads and pavements.

Report a damaged manhole or gully

If you wish to report a damaged manhole or gully, please fill in our online form, after which we will receive an application number. If you provide us with an email address an automated acknowledgment of your request will be sent to you. 

How would you like to continue

Help us improve

Select how useful the page is
Back to top