Landowner, highways statements and declarations

Landowner Statements

New legislation came into force on 1 October 2013 that allows landowners to deposit a map and statement under Section 15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006. This is to protect their land from being recorded as a town or village green. Landowner statements bring to an end any period of recreational use 'as of right' over land.

The deposit of a landowner statement triggers a one-year period. During this time, village green applications can be made to the Council.

Highway Statements and Declarations

Landowners can use Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 to stop public rights of way being established on their land by depositing a map and highways statement with the Council. This shows which parts of the land the landowner owns and the existing public rights of way and highways that cross it. The statements and declarations lodged before 1 October 2013 are valid for 10 years, and those lodged after this date are valid for 20 years.

Further details and the prescribed forms are contained in Statutory Instrument 2013 No. 1774: The Commons (Registration of Town or Village Greens) and Dedicated Highways (Landowner Statements and Declarations) (England) Regulations 2013.

View the register

Or you can see a paper copy of the register, free of charge, between 8:30am and 5pm Monday to Friday at:

Customer Access Point
Wakefield One
Burton Street

The information provided on the register is provided for information purposes only. You should not rely upon it when you make, or refrain from making, any decision or when you take, or refrain from taking, any action.

We aim for accurate information, but we cannot guarantee it and will not be responsible for any errors or omissions.

If you have any questions about the register, please contact the Public Rights of Way Team.

Make an application

If you wish to make an application, please complete the Form CA16. This is the application form for Deposits and Declarations under both sets of regulations. Contact us for further information and details of the current application fee.

Please fill out the application form as appropriate, sign and send to the address below - email applications are not acceptable.

Applications should be submitted, quoting reference L/AS/Landowner Statements, to the following address:

Wakefield Council
Legal Services
County Hall
Bond Street

Current Application Notices

Once an application is received and accepted by the Council it is publicised by a notice on the website and posted on site for a minimum of 60 days.

HD111 - Highway Statement at Newland Hall Farm, Newland Lane, Normanton

Contact Us

Public Rights of Way Wakefield One PO Box 700 Burton Street Wakefield WF1 2EB

Help us improve

Select how useful the page is
Back to top