Welcome to Wakefield

Don't speak or read English?

If you need the information on our website in a different language, select the BrowseAloud option at the top of the page, and choose the option to Translate Page and select your preferred language.

The information on this page is aimed at new migrants who have recently moved into Wakefield, or are planning on doing so in the near future. It provides the contact details of local key agencies you may need to contact within your first few days of living in the district.

Finding somewhere to live

Finding somewhere to live is one of the most important things you will need to do when you first arrive.

If you are looking for a private rented home the Wakefield Responsible Landlords Scheme is the best place to start and can be found at www.wakefield.gov.uk/wrls.

If you want to apply for social housing you can do this at www.wdhomesearch.co.uk or by calling 0344 902 0202.

If you are homeless contact 01924 304 360 for advice.

If you rent a home and it's not in a good state you can also get help from Strategic Housing on 01924 306665.

Finding a job

Most big towns have a Job Centre, where you can get advice on finding a job. This service is provided free of charge. To find more information, contact Jobseeker Direct on 0845 606 0234, search the website www.gov.uk/jobsearch or visit your local Job Centre office.

Health and wellbeing

Health care is provided mainly by the National Health Service. There are a number of options for you if you need any healthcare support.

You should register with a local doctor (GP) when you settle in Wakefield. GPs will give you advice on health problems and prescribe treatment or further actions. Details of local GPs can be found at: www.nhs.uk

111 is the NHS non-emergency number for the UK, and can offer immediate advice on your health and direct you to the best medical care. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

A&E departments (also known as emergency department or casualty) deal with genuine life-threatening emergencies. Please only attend A&E, in the case of an emergency as this is a high demand service. A&E staff are equipped to deal with serious and life threatening needs, not routine or minor health issues. If you cannot get to A&E yourself call 999 and state you require an ambulance.

Online health advice is available at: www.nhs.uk


All children are required by law to start full-time school at the beginning of term after their fifth birthday.

They must remain in some form of education until they are 18 years old.

Nursery education is available to three and four-year-old, and some two-year-olds. To find out more contact the Wakefield District Family Services Information Services on 0800 587 8042 or by email at fis@wakefield.gov.uk

The Wakefield School Admissions Team arranges the admission of pupils into schools in the Wakefield district.

Contact them on 01924 306 052 or email admissions@wakefield.gov.uk

Useful contacts

Emergency Services

Contact 999 in an emergency.

This same number is used for Police, Ambulance and Fire.

Other contacts

You can select the name to go to the website, or press the number to call

Wakefield Council 0845 8 506 506

West Yorkshire Police 0845 6 060 606 

NHS Choices

Fire service 01274 682 311

Wakefield District Housing 0345 8 507 507

Victim support 0808 1689 111

Social Care direct 0345 8 503 503

Citizens advice bureau 03444 111 444

Contact Us

Customer Services Wakefield Council Wakefield One PO Box 700 Wakefield WF1 2EB

Help us improve wakefield.gov.uk

Select how useful the page is
Back to top