Shop Security Grant Scheme

  • Funded by UK Government logo
  • Levelling up logo

We're offering shops in Wakefield, Castleford, Normanton, and South Elmsall grants to make security improvements. This scheme aims to discourage break-ins and anti-social behaviour to create safer communities.


The UK government is funding this scheme through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund.

The scheme

You can apply for a grant of up to 80% of the total cost of security improvements. The most you can receive is £6,000 (net of VAT).

Your scheme must cost at least £3,750 (net of VAT) to be eligible. Grants are subject to approval.

Improvements can include:

  • gates, grilles or appropriate security shutters
  • door hardening and locks
  • reinforcing single glaze windows
  • fencing and railings
  • intruder alarms and other approved devices
  • door entry access control or video intercom systems
  • lighting for parking areas, alleyways or areas around the business
  • measures to prevent roof access
  • fixed CCTV monitoring inside the business
  • landscaping to improve safety and security

The process

Stage 1

You will discuss your plans and how the process works with a member of our City and Towns team.

View the geographical boundary for eligible properties in:

We will give priority to:

  • shops
  • restaurants, public houses, bars and cafés
  • office premises
  • service-sector businesses occupying retail type property (professional services, health and beauty and leisure)

If your proposals meet the criteria, you then need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) form. EOI forms must be submitted by 31 December 2024.

Stage 2

A Project Manager will review your Expression of Interest. If it meets the criteria, you then need to submit a formal application. To do this, you will need:

  • proof of occupation or ownership of the property
  • any legally required permissions
  • proof you have the funds for your contribution to the cost
  • at least two quotes for the proposed work

The Grants Panel will then make a decision. If your application is successful, you will get a formal offer. Then you will enter a contract with Wakefield Council.

Next steps

To start the process, email A Project Manager will then get in touch to discuss your proposals. You can find more details in the guidance notes.

To report a non-emergency minor crime to the police, call 101 or report it online. If a crime is in progress, dial 999.

Contact the Wakefield city centre Neighbourhood Police Team. Email

For advice on crime prevention, email

  • West Yorkshire Combined Authority logo
  • Wakefield Council logo

Help us improve

Select how useful the page is
Back to top