Private Markets

Our Private Markets policy was introduced on 1 April 2024, and helps us to positively influence the type of markets we have across the district. It provides an effective way to deal with enquiries and applications to hold private markets.

A vibrant and varied market brings many benefits. It creates opportunities for communities to come together socially. It gives small businesses a platform to sell their products and goods. It also enables voluntary and charitable groups to raise funds. 

We are committed to maintaining consumer confidence by ensuring quality standards are met. At all markets, not just ones we directly provide. 

All markets must protect public safety and consider any nuisance issues, highways, and other regulatory concerns.

If you are considering holding a private market, you will need to apply for a Private Markets licence. This applies to:

  • car boot sales
  • table-top sales
  • wedding fayres
  • Christmas markets
  • farmers' markets
  • antiques fayres 

If you are unsure if you need to apply for a licence, you can make an enquiry using our online form. 

Who needs to apply?

Anyone who wants to hold a market with 5 or more stalls or vendors must apply for a Private Markets Licence. 

How do I apply?

You need to complete the online form below.

In line with Section 37 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, you must give at least one month’s notice. If your market is taking place across several dates, this is from the date the first market will take place. 

How much does a licence cost? 

There is a charge for a Private Market Licence. The charge amount will depend on the size, type, and frequency of market you are holding. You must pay in full before the first market takes place. 

Please complete the form to submit your application. We aim to respond within 3 working days. 

Private Markets Licences are granted at the discretion of the Council. 

If you have any questions about licence costs, please get in touch. 


Before you apply 

You may need to provide copies of the following: 

  • Letter of Consent 
  • Plan of Site 
  • Public Liability Insurance

What if I don't have electronic copies? 

Photos or scans of documents are acceptable - relevant information must be clear. 

If you're unable to provide electronic versions of these documents, then you cannot apply online. In this case, you should apply by email at:

Contact Us

Markets Payments and Allocations Team Castleford Market Office Carlton Street Castleford West Yorkshire WF10 1BE

Help us improve

Select how useful the page is
Back to top