Temporary event notice and personal licences

Temporary event notice (TEN)

If you're organising a one-time event or special occasion that involves alcohol, entertainment, or late-night refreshment, you may not need a premises licence.

Instead, you can submit a temporary event notice to authorise the activities. This applies whether you don't have a premises licence or if you already have one but want to conduct additional activities not covered by it.

Submitting a notice

Standard TENs

A standard TEN must be submitted no later than 10 working days before the even. This does not include the day the TEN is received or the day of the event, any weekends or bank holidays.

Late TENs

Late TENs can be submitted between 9 and 5 working days before the event. Again, this does not include the day the TEN is received or the day of the event, any weekends or bank holidays.

If the Police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, then it is immediately cancelled with no right of a hearing.

Other Key Information can be found on the application form in downloads.

Personal licence

To supervise the sale of alcohol in licensed premises like pubs, restaurants, or hotels, you need a personal licence. However, selling alcohol in a Qualifying Club or under a Temporary Events Notice doesn't need a personal licence.

To apply for a personal licence, you must contact the Council in your residential area. Even if you move, that Council will still handle the issuance and maintenance of your licence.

Considering your application

To qualify for a personal licence, you will need:

  • to be over 18 years old
  • possess an approved Licensing qualification
  • provide a criminal record certificate or PNC search
  • not hold any of the relevant criminal convictions referred to in the Act

Duration of the licence

A personal licence lasts indefinitely and will move with you from one premises to another. This is unless it is:

  • revoked
  • surrendered
  • forfeited
  • suspended

Online Register

If you wish to see further information on licences granted you can view these on the online register.

Contact Us

Licensing Office Wakefield Council Wakefield One PO Box 700 Burton Street Wakefield WF1 2EB Opening hours: Monday to Friday 10am - 3pm

Help us improve wakefield.gov.uk

Select how useful the page is
Back to top