We have two crematoria located in Pontefract and Wakefield that perform over 3,000 cremations each year.
As a member of The Federation of British Cremation Authority, we follow the Federation's code of cremation practice and the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management.
Despite the majority of the COVID-19 restrictions being removed, there are still some restrictions with regard to Cremation Services.
Cremations continue to take place but detailed below is some new guidance to help keep people safe. The changes for each of the crematoriums are detailed below.
We will be monitoring guidelines and will update the information as required.
Pontefract Crematorium – Guidance as of 27 January 2022
Wakefield Road, Pontefract, WF8 4HA
We are now offering either a 20 or 40-minute service in our crematorium chapel. A maximum of 95 people can sit inside and attend the funeral service at Pontefract chapel. This does not include the minister conducting the service (75 in main chapel and 20 on balcony). We also allow limited standing.
The service times for Pontefract are as follows:
Monday – Thursday 9am – 3.00pm (first and last service is 20 minutes)
Friday 9am – 2:20pm (first and last service time is 20 minutes)
Standbridge Lane, Wakefield, WF4 3JA
We are now offering either a 20 or 40-minute service in our crematorium chapel. Currently a maximum of 100 people can sit inside and attend the funeral service at the Wakefield chapel. This does not include the minister conducting the service (93 in the main chapel and 7 in the waiting room). We also allow limited standing.
The service times for Wakefield Crematorium are as follows:
Monday – Thursday 9am – 3pm (first and last service is 20 minutes)
Friday 9am – 2:00pm (first service is 20 minutes)
We are continuing to limit capacity within both Crematoria buildings. We will also allow people to gather outside and continue to put the outside speakers on. Chairs will be interlocked as before the pandemic, and we would request they are not moved during a service.
With levels of infection still high the following risk control measures will remain in place to ensure the safety of both mourners and staff:
- Windows will remain open where possible in the chapels to ensure sufficient ventilation.
- Whilst no longer mandatory, we would strongly advise and request all attendees continue to wear a face covering whilst inside the buildings. We would also request all Funeral Directors and Celebrants continue to wear a face covering.
- We will continue to provide sanitising stations as mourners enter the buildings and would encourage all attendees to use them.
- Hymn books will still not be available for use.
- To ensure the ongoing safety of staff, the front offices at both Crematoria will remain closed access and we would request that nobody other than staff enter these rooms. Staff will be available for funeral directors to confirm their arrangements prior to the service commencing and for the collection of cremated remains but we would ask that people do not directly enter these offices.
- Please be aware that you must still notify us if you know of anyone attending who has tested positive for COVID-19 so that we can put in place appropriate arrangements.
Book of Remembrance Rooms
The Chapel of Remembrance at each Crematorium is now fully open, with a restriction of one group bubble in the building at any one time. The Chapel will be cleaned on a regular basis.
Strewing of cremated remains continues to take place with an appointment.
Appointments can be made by contacting the main office on 01924 307446.