Standards Committee and Councillor complaints

Promoting High Standards / Complaints against Councillors

The Standards Committee is a key component of the Council's corporate governance arrangements.

The Standards Committee advises the Council on how to maintain high standards of conduct among elected members. This is required by the Localism Act 2011.

Standards Committee agendas, minutes and membership details

What is a complaint against a Councillor?

A complaint against a Councillor is an allegation that a Councillor has not observed the relevant Code of Conduct for Members.

The Localism Act 2011 allows only censure as a sanction for a Councillor who breaches the Code of Conduct. Exceptions may apply if the incident happened within the last three months.

How do I make a complaint against a Councillor?

All complaints against Councillors should be made in writing to the Council's Monitoring Officer. You can find their details in the 'Contact Us' section below.


The Chief Executive has delegated authority to grant dispensations to Councillors in certain circumstances to enable them to participate in meetings in which they have a specific interest.

Details of the dispensations currently granted

Contact Us

Council Monitoring Officer Wakefield Council County Hall Wakefield WF1 2QW

Help us improve

Select how useful the page is
Back to top