Climate Change and Environmental Wellbeing Committee
Chair: Councillor Olivia Rowley
This committee is specifically involved in scrutinising, monitoring and reviewing:
- Scrutinise the work of the Climate Emergency Programme Board.
- Scrutinise the delivery of the Council’s ten-year Climate Emergency Action Plan.
- Work being undertaken to make the Council a Carbon Neutral organisation before 2030, taking into account both production and consumption emissions.
- How the Council is working and engaging with all other public and private sector bodies towards making the entire District zero carbon within the same timescale.
- Review the Council’s practices, policies, and procedures to develop an understanding of emission impacts on the District.
- Development of mitigation strategies to enable communities to become more resilient in the face of climate change.
- Learning from best practice in other cities.
- Consider the extent to which Cabinet and Council recommendations are reducing carbon emissions, to be developed in the context of environmental responsibility, economic prosperity and social equity.
- Measures being undertaken to increase the provision of sustainable public and private sector housing – including affordability, rented and student accommodation.
- Sustainable development and climate change.
- Duties described / provided under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010
- Work undertaken to address issues in relation to waste collection and disposal including the measures in place to increase recycling rates and the reduction of landfill costs.
- Work undertaken to address issues relating to the streetscene and public open spaces.
- Environmental enforcement.
Transportation and Highways
- Delivery of the West Yorkshire Transport Plan
- Transportation and Highways issues including
(the network, connectivity, road safety, footpaths and public rights of way).
- The work of Leeds City Region and the Combined Authority - and/or other public bodies or partnerships (e.g. WEP) that deliver services to the people of Wakefield in relation to transport.
- Councillor David Dagger
Councillor Harry Ellis (Deputy Chair)
Councillor Nick Farmer
Councillor Thomas Gordon
Councillor Samantha Harvey
Councillor Olivia Rowley (Chair)
- Councillor Kevin Swift
- Councillor Richard Taylor
- Councillor Tony Wallis
Co-opted Members (recruited from the general public)
- Eric Burkes
- Lawrence Doyle
- Steve Wise
- Ian Bain
Minutes, agendas and future meetings
Our meetings database contains minutes, agendas and future meeting dates of the Management Board and the committees.