Climate Change and Environmental Wellbeing Committee
Chair: Councillor Olivia Rowley
The committee is the designated crime and disorder committee and will scrutinise, monitor and review:
- The work of the Climate Emergency Programme Board;
- The delivery of the Council’s ten-year Climate Change Action Plan;
- Work being undertaken to make the Council a carbon neutral organisation before 2030, taking into account both production and consumption emissions;
- How the Council is working and engaging with all other public and private sector bodies towards making the entire District zero carbon within the same timescale;
- The Council’s practices, policies, and procedures to develop an understanding of emission impacts on the District;
- Development of mitigation strategies to enable communities to become more resilient in the face of climate change;
- Learning from best practice in other cities;
- The extent to which Cabinet and Council recommendations are reducing carbon emissions and are developed in the context of environmental responsibility, economic prosperity and social equity.
Biodiversity Emergency and Ecological Crisis
- Duties described / provided under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010
- Work undertaken to address issues in relation to waste collection and disposal including the measures in place to increase recycling rates and the reduction of landfill costs.
- Work undertaken to address issues relating to the streetscene and public open spaces.
- Environmental enforcement.
Safer and Stronger Communities
- Monitor and review the effectiveness and performance of the Community Safety Partnership.
- Measures undertaken to reduce and prevent crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Tackle domestic abuse and improve support to victims.
- Duties relating to the policing function including linkages with the District’s Community Safety Partnership, the West Yorkshire Police and Crime Panel and the office of the Deputy Mayor of West Yorkshire with regard to Police and Crime Commissioner functions.
- Night time economy.
- Community cohesion.
- Services to Gypsy / Travellers
- Voluntary and community sector.
Transportation and Highways
- Delivery of the West Yorkshire Transport Plan
- Transportation and Highways issues including
(the network, connectivity, road safety, footpaths and public rights of way).
- The work of Leeds City Region and the Combined Authority - and/or other public bodies or partnerships (e.g. WEP) that deliver services to the people of Wakefield in relation to transport.
- Councillor David Dagger
Councillor Harry Ellis
Councillor Nick Farmer
Councillor Pat Garbutt
Councillor Annemarie Glover
Councillor Thomas Gordon
Councillor Julie Medford
Councillor Olivia Rowley (Chair)
Councillor Paul Stockhill
- Councillor Richard Taylor
- Councillor Tony Wallis
Co-opted Members (recruited from the general public)
- Eric Burkes
- Lawrence Doyle
- Steve Wise
- Ian Bain
Minutes, agendas and future meetings
Our meetings database contains minutes, agendas and future meeting dates of the Management Board and the committees.