Subject access request

Accessing your personal information

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you the right to access information that Wakefield Council holds about you, or, you can apply on behalf of someone else.  This is commonly known as a Subject Access Request (SAR) and can include all information about you held on paper, electronically, photos, audio recordings and video (like CCTV footage).  Before making a request to access your information please read the guidance provided below.

You can make a request verbally or in writing, either by phone or in person, by post or email. It would be helpful if you were to use our SAR Form to submit your request, although this is not compulsory. Completing the form will provide us with all of the information that we need to understand your request and respond to you promptly.

What information do I need to provide?

A clear, specific request

The Council is unable to start working on a subject access request until you have provided enough information for us to find your personal data.

The Council processes personal information for many reasons, below is a list of those most commonly requested:

  • Social care information

  • Housing benefit files

  • Council tax information

  • Employment files

If you are requesting social care information then please provide details of any family members who were also involved with social care. This will allow us to conduct a more thorough search of our social care records. Appendix A of the SAR Form provides further guidance on the type of information that will aid the search of our Social Care records.

  • Current identification

To ensure that personal data is only disclosed to those who are authorised to access it, you will need to provide two forms of ID (one from each of the lists below) as part of your request.

Only copies of the documents are required:

Proof of identity showing your name and date of birth.

  • Valid Driver’s License

  • Passport

  • Birth certificate or adoption certificate

Proof of your current address (dated within the last 3 months)

  • Utility bill

  • Bank Statement

  • Council tax bill

  • Letter from Social Worker or Probation officer

Please note if sending your application by e-mail we recommended that you do so using the Council’s secure email facility Cryptshare. Should you choose not to use Cryptshare, the Council cannot be held responsible for any unauthorised access to your information. To use Cryptshare please use the following link

The Council can only process requests where copies of valid identification and/or relevant supporting documents are received. If the Council has not received identification within 30 days then your request will be closed.

Asking for information about a child

Parents or guardians can make a request for personal information on behalf of their children. If you are asking for information about a child we require proof of parental responsibility e.g. birth certificate of child or adoption certificate.

If the child is aged 13 years or over then they must give their permission. However, if a child does not have the capacity to make this decision we would require proof that you are authorised to act on the child’s behalf. 

Asking for information about a third party:

If you are a personal representative acting on behalf of someone, we also ask for written evidence e.g. signed consent or power of attorney. There is no automatic right of access to the personal data of third parties and your request may be refused.

Asking for CCTV or other camera footage:

You have the right to see any images of you that have been recorded by our CCTV network or other camera systems, subject to certain Data Protection Act exceptions. The council can only process requests for footage when received along with ID within 14 days of the recording as the footage is only kept for a short amount of time. The Council is unable to release footage capturing road traffic collisions in situations where a third party is identifiable.

You will need to provide the following identification documents when requesting information for CCTV or other camera footage. 

Footage of a person:

Photographic proof of your identity with your name and date of birth.

  • Valid Driver’s License or Passport

  • A recent photograph of you

Footage of a vehicle;

  • If you are the vehicle owner: the Vehicle log book (DVLA V5C form)

  • If you are not the owner of the vehicle: Written consent confirming you are activing on their behalf and” ID from the vehicle owner in addition to the Vehicle Log Book.

What you can expect from us:

Once we have received your request, and checked your identity you should expect to receive a response to your request within 1 month.  In some circumstances where a request is complex, we may extend this to a maximum of 3 months.  Where this is the case, we will inform you of this. 

When you receive your information, you may notice some information is blacked out. Information is blacked out when:

  • It is about another person

  • It has been provided by another person (if they haven’t given permission to release this information)

  • Any information that is not considered to be personal to you

This is in line with the regulations set out in the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

For information about how the Council processes personal data see our privacy notice.

You can find out more about your information rights on the Information Commissioner's website.

Contact us

Corporate Information Governance

County Hall
Bond Street

01924 306 112