Self-build and custom housebuilding register

More and more people are building their own homes through ‘custom-build’ and ‘self-build’ projects – and in some cases it can work out cheaper than purchasing a similar sized new build property.
We are keen to find out how many people are interested in building their own home in the Wakefield district or commissioning a co-designed home from a building contractor.

Whatever your motivation for pursuing this we want you to tell us if this is something you are interested in doing so that we can track demand across the district.

This will give us a better understanding of demand and help us with our duties contained within the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 in relation to planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration.

To support and promote self build and custom build projects we are doing the following:

  • Assessing demand for custom build in the District by encouraging people to sign up to our custom build register
  • Directing people to suitable guidance and information to support people in making their dream of building their own home a reality
  • Sharing details of Council owned sites that become available for sale and may be suitable for self build and custom build
  • Appraising sites we own to see if they are suitable for custom build
  • Working with partners to help deliver new custom build projects

What is self-b​​​uild and custom-build housing​?

Self-build– an individual or group that build a house or houses on their own land – sometimes with help from a sub-contractor

Custom-build – properties commissioned by people on their own land from a builder, contractor or other company

Serviced buildings plots – a site that:

  • has access to a public highway and has connections for electricity, water and waste water, or
  • can be provided with those things in specified circumstances or within a specified period

Who can register?

Applicants must meet all of the eligibility criteria for entry on the register. Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or older
  • a British citizen; a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom or a national of Switzerland
  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in Wakefield to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence

Please note that there should only be one named contact on the register for a household wishing to register their interest.

To register your interest, please complete the self-build questionnaire and email it to

Help us improve

Select how useful the page is
Back to top