We deliver a range of FREE parenting courses across the Wakefield district. If you are interested in attending please ring 01924 303301 to reserve a place.
Keep Calm and Carry on Parenting!
5 weeks - for parents with children aged 2-11
This course is to assist parents to improve their parenting skills and build positive relationships with their children. The course develops strategies for parents to encourage desirable behaviour and use planned activities routines to manage misbehaviour.
This course is an adaptation from the popular tried and tested ‘Webster Stratton’ behaviour management course and aimed at parents, carers and grandparents of children aged 2 – 11 years.
- Develop your awareness of relationships and communication skills.
- Enhance your skills when managing your child's behaviour.
- Be more aware of the different approaches to parenting and problem solving.
- Identify possible causes of your child's misbehaviour
- How to set and maintain limits for behaviours including bedtime problems, fussy eating, aggression, tantrums & homework battles.
- Use praise effectively to encourage positive behaviour and ignore effectively
- Implement parenting routines
- How to find alternatives to shouting, nagging and feeling out of control
Keep Calm they’re only Teenagers course!
5 weeks - for parents with children aged 11-16
This course will support parents to understand problems faced by teenagers today and provide strategies to support parents to recognise young people's goals and dreams and set goals for the future.
- Discuss changes in young people and identify strengths of family members
- Give compliments to reinforce good behaviours
- Learn about family meetings, building positive relationships
- Understand why it is important to stay calm and respectful
- Save big penalties for big problems, taking away privileges
- Understand what family values are
- Learn how to listen to young people's feelings and avoid harsh criticism
- Meet young people's needs in positive way
- Learn how to set clear rules and boundaries to problems
- Understand what’s underneath behaviour