- Your vehicle is well maintained
- Tyres including the spare are in good condition
- Your cooling system is topped up with anti freeze
- The battery works well
- You have a screen scraper and de-icer in the car
- Windscreen wipers and washers are working properly
- Your screen washer bottle is topped up with water,treated with a screen wash to prevent it freezing
- Your lights are clean and working properly
- All your windows and mirrors are clean and clear of frost, snow and mist
- Your route to avoid travelling on un-gritted roads
- Local weather information to see if it is safe to drive
- Is your journey necessary?
- Have you checked the weather forecast?
- Have you told someone where you are going and when you expect to arrive?
- Have you taken warm clothing, hot drinks, food, torch and a shovel?
- Drive more slowly both on gritted roads and un-gritted roads
- Take particular care at junctions and corners
- Use dipped headlights if you can't see clearly
- Drive in the highest gear possible - that's the lowest possible revs
- Avoid braking or accelerating harshly
- Keep well away from the car in front - stopping distance will be 10 times longer than usual in snow or ice
- Keep a good look out for children and cyclists
- Don't obstruct gritting vehicles
If you do get caught in snow...
- Stay with your vehicle until help arrives
- Make yourself and your vehicle visible to other motorists
- If you do have to leave your vehicle, give your details to the local police
Visit Gov.uk to find out more information on winter driving