Corridor Improvement Programme - A638 Doncaster Road
The A638 Doncaster Road with its junction at Black Road at Heath Common experiences high volumes of traffic, congestion, excess noise and air pollution, limited crossings for pedestrians and cyclists and unreliable bus journey times due to traffic delays.
The Council is proposing improvements on the A638 Doncaster Road between Chantry Bridge and Heath Common to improve travel for all along this key corridor linking the city with the eastern areas of the district.
- Better journey times and improved reliability for buses.
- More people using public transport.
- More people walking and cycling to encourage healthier lifestyles.
- Reduced carbon emissions from vehicles and improved air quality.
- Easier access to education, employment and skills-based training facilities.
- Bus lane improvement, A655 Black Road/A638 Doncaster Road junction at Heath Common.
- Provide new lay-bys for bus stops on Doncaster Road.
- Better access to selected bus stops from nearby residential areas
- New 'Toucan' crossings at Sugar Lane and near the Wakefield Eastern Relief Road.
- New or improved cycle route from Agbrigg Road through Belle Vue to the riverside.
A consultation is to be held from 21 June to 18 July 2021. The results will be published in September and, subject to Cabinet approval, works will start in 2023 and be completed in 2024.
Funding of £6.7 million has been allocated by the West Yorkshire Combined Authority.
The project aligns with national and regional plans, transport and clean air policies and strategies as well as the West Yorkshire Transport Strategy, Wakefield District Local Plan, Wakefield District Economic Strategy 2018-2023, Wakefield Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan, West Yorkshire Bus Strategy and Wakefield District Transport Strategy.
Corridor Improvement Programme on the
A639 Park Road, Pontefract.