School crossing patrol

School Crossing Patrols (SCP) were originally established in 1953 and started on 1 July 1954.  The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 gave Councils the power to appoint SCP's to help children cross the road on their way to and from school.  In 2001 an amendment allowed SCP's to cross adults too.

However the School Crossing Patrol Service is not a statutory requirement and therefore Local Councils are not legally required to provide the service. From April 2017 Wakefield Council introduced a charging system for the schools wanting to retain a School Crossing Patrol. With the monies received used to cover the costs of the provision of the service.

Wakefield Council currently manages approximately 46 school crossing sites across the district as part of a Service Level Agreement with schools.


If you think your schools needs a SCP, please contact the School in the first instance, as they are now funding the Patrols. But it's also worth remembering that even where a SCP is provided, parents remain responsible for ensuring their children's safety, just as they do at a zebra crossing or light controlled crossing.

Did you know that under the Road Traffic Act 1984, it's an offence for a driver to fail to stop for a SCP in full uniform and displaying the stop sign or to move off whilst the patrol is still in the road.


Schools wishing to obtain a School Crossing Patrol can read through the FAQ below and if you would still like to proceed contact the Wakefield Council Contact Centre on 0345 8 506 506.

Frequently asked questions

Who pays for the School Crossing Patrol?

The School - The School Crossing Patrol Service is not a mandatory service and councils are therefore not statutorily obligated to provide them.

In April 2017 Wakefield Council introduced a charging system for those schools who want to retain a School Crossing Patrol. The monies received are used to cover the costs of the provision of the service.

Who manages the Patrol?

The patrol will still be employed by Wakefield Council, who will manage the Patrol to include any sickness, disciplinaries, policy breaches etc.  This also includes the site and issues that may arise.

Can we have one outside our school?

This is not a straight yes or no answer.  You can request one, which will start the ball rolling. A site assessment will then be carried out on the suggested location. 

Does the Patrol have to stand directly outside school?

No, but a site assessment will have to be carried out on any suggested location.

Do we have to pay for the uniform or sign?

No, Wakefield Council has this covered.

Do we need to pay for insurance for the patrol?

No, Wakefield Council has this covered.

Who carries out the general health and safety of the Patrol and the site?

Wakefield Council will conduct an annual risk assessment on both the Patrol and the Site. They will also investigate any other health and safety as and when issues arise.

How much does it cost for a patrol?

The minimum hours to employ a patrol are 5.00 per week (30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the afternoon) the cost of this is currently £2,508.00 per year (term time).

How do we pay?

Local Government schools will be charged via Internal Journal and other Schools/Academies will be invoiced annually.

Are there any other costs or charges involved?

There may be a site set up fee if it’s a new site.  The site assessment will determine whether signage, lineage or dropped kerbs etc. are required.

Will there be cover if my School Crossing Patrol is absent?

Wakefield Council will endeavour to cover the absence where possible, however after the initial 10 days, every full day after that will be repaid back to the school within 30 days of the expiry of the school year or the date of any earlier termination of the Service Level Agreement (SLA).

What if we decide we no longer want the service?

The school will be required to give 3 calendar months’ notice in writing of their intention to terminate the SLA.

The Education and Inspection Act 2006 (section 508A) puts a duty on schools to

promote sustainable travel to school. School Crossing Patrols are one option that can contribute to this duty.

Interested in joining our team?

The role of a school crossing patrol although at times demanding, is also very rewarding and puts the patrol in the heart of the community. The role is suitable for anyone who can commit around an hour a day during school term.

The uniform is supplied free of charge and full training will be provided. The wage is £9.18 per hour, plus a split shift allowance.  We are committed to Safeguarding and as such applicants will be required to undertake a DBS check.

For further information about the role or which sites are currently vacant, contact us at the address to the right, phone us on 01924 305721 or visit our Jobs page.

Contact us

Road Safety Service

Wakefield One
Highways Section, Floor 2
Burton Street

01924 305 721