Community road safety resources

Be Bright, Be Seen

Information on how to help keep yourself more visible to road users especially during Autumn/Winter months.


Injuries to motorcyclists are out of proportion to their presence on our roads. Motorcyclists are just 1 per cent of total road traffic, but account for 19 per cent of all road user deaths. Follow the links for further information.

Vehicle Checks

Is your vehicle safely equipped to drive? Take a look at the following links showing drivers how to perform basic safety checks.

Winter Maintenance

Useful tips on sensible safety measures to put in place during the winter months.

Cycle Safety

Many people say they are put off cycling because they don’t like the idea of cycling in traffic, but many cyclists use busy roads every day without any problems. Have a look at the information from various cycling experts.

Older Drivers

Experienced drivers are, in general, safer than those with less experience. But as we get older, our health and fitness, often including our eyesight, physical condition and reaction times, begins to decline. Age related conditions can also begin to affect our driving.

After school clubs

Whether you’re a cub a beaver or a brownie, have a look at our downloadable Road Safety packs to help you achieve your Road Safety badge.


Mobile phones, music and other people are just some of the things that can distract you as a driver and a pedestrian. Find out more on keeping yourself safe from distractions.

Independent Travel Training Box (Blue Box)

The Independent Travel Training Resource is offered primarily but not inclusive to schools to aid with learning or mobility difficulties to enable them to travel with less support. 

The resource covers various road safety issues/topics e.g. Zebra Crossings, Pelican crossing etc.  

Equestrian Safety

Whether you’re a rider or a driver, find out how to keep safe on the roads and avoid accidents involving horses.

Mobility Scooters

You do not need a licence to drive a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but you may have to register it. Only certain types can be driven on the road. Follow the links to find out more.

Young Drivers

If your children are learning to drive or are newly qualified here's what you need to know to help make their early years on the road safe and accident free.

Fatal Four

Driving under the influence

Drink driving

Drink driving can cause serious consequences for you and your family, have a look at the information below and ensure you don’t get caught out.

Drug driving

It is against the law to drive under the influence of illegal drugs, but did you know there are also some prescribed drugs that can affect your ability to drive.


The difference of a few miles per hour can mean the difference between life and death. Have a look at our useful information to help keep you safe when driving.

Mobile Phones

It is illegal to hold and use your phone while driving. Get caught and you will face 6 points and £200.


Whether a driver or a passenger in a vehicle, in a crash a seat belt greatly improves your chance of avoiding serious injury or death. Follow the links below for useful information on seatbelts and appropriate child car seats.

How to get a School Crossing Patrol

For further information or to discuss the possibility of obtaining a School Crossing Patrol for your school, contact  Wakefield Council Customer Services on Tel. 0345 8 506 506

Frequently asked questions

Who pays for the School Crossing Patrol?

The School - The School Crossing Patrol Service is not a mandatory service and councils are therefore not statutorily obligated to provide them.

In April 2017 Wakefield Council introduced a charging system for those schools who want to retain a School Crossing Patrol. The monies received are used to cover the costs of the provision of the service.

Who manages the Patrol?

The patrol will still be employed by Wakefield Council, who will manage the Patrol to include any sickness, disciplinaries, policy breaches etc.  This also includes the site and issues that may arise.

Can we have one outside our school?

This is not a straight yes or no answer.  You can request one, which will start the ball rolling. A site assessment will then be carried out on the suggested location. 

Does the Patrol have to stand directly outside school?

No, but a site assessment will have to be carried out on any suggested location.

Do we have to pay for the uniform or sign?

No, Wakefield Council has this covered.

Do we need to pay for insurance for the patrol?

No, Wakefield Council has this covered.

Who carries out the general health and safety of the Patrol and the site?

Wakefield Council will conduct an annual risk assessment on both the Patrol and the Site. They will also investigate any other health and safety as and when issues arise.

How much does it cost for a patrol?

The minimum hours to employ a patrol are 5.00 per week (30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the afternoon) the cost of this is currently £2,508.00 per year (term time).

How do we pay?

Local Government schools will be charged via Internal Journal and other Schools/Academies will be invoiced annually.

Are there any other costs or charges involved?

There may be a site set up fee if it’s a new site.  The site assessment will determine whether signage, lineage or dropped kerbs etc. are required.

Will there be cover if my School Crossing Patrol is absent?

Wakefield Council will endeavour to cover the absence where possible, however after the initial 10 days, every full day after that will be repaid back to the school within 30 days of the expiry of the school year or the date of any earlier termination of the Service Level Agreement (SLA).

What if we decide we no longer want the service?

The school will be required to give 3 calendar months’ notice in writing of their intention to terminate the SLA.

Contact us

Road Safety Service

Wakefield One
Highways Section, Floor 2
Burton Street

01924 305 721