Landowner, highways statements and declarations

​Landowner Statements

New legislation came into force on 1 October 2013 that allows landowners to deposit a map and statement under Section 15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006 to protect their land from being recorded as a town or village green.  Landowner statements bring to an end any period of recreational use 'as of right' over land.

The deposit of a landowner statement triggers a one-year period during which village green applications can be made to the Council.

Highway Statements and Declarations

Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 provides a way which allows landowners to protect their land from public rights of way coming into existence, as a result of public use.  It allows for a map and highways statement to be deposited with the Council, outlining the extent of the land in their ownership and showing the existing public rights of way and highways which cross it.  Highways statements and declarations lodged before 1 October 2013 are valid for 10 years and those lodged after this date are valid for 20 years.

Further details and the prescribed forms are contained in Statutory Instrument 2013 No. 1774: The Commons (Registration of Town or Village Greens) and Dedicated Highways (Landowner Statements and Declarations) (England) Regulations 2013.

View the register  

Or you can see a paper copy of the register, free of charge, between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday at:

Customer Access Point
Wakefield One
Burton Street

The information provided on the register is provided for information purposes only. You should not rely upon it when you make, or refrain from making, any decision or when you take, or refrain from taking, any action.

We seek to meet the highest standard of information quality and every effort has been taken to ensure that the information presented is accurate.​

However, we make no warranty, express or implied as to accuracy and will not be held responsible for any consequences arising out of any inaccuracies or omissions. 

If you have any other queries regarding the register please contact the Public Rights of Way Team.

Make an application

If you wish to make an application, please complete the Form CA16  which is the application form for Deposits and Declarations under both sets of regulations. Contact us for further information and details of the current application fee.

Please fill out the application form as appropriate, sign and send to the address below -  email applications are not acceptable.

Applications should be submitted, quoting reference L/AS/Landowner Statements, to:

Wakefield Council
Legal Services
County Hall
Bond Street

Application Notices

Once an application is received and accepted by the Council it is publicised by a notice on the website and posted on site for a minimum of 60 days. 

Current notices

Contact us

Public Rights of Way

Wakefield One
PO Box 700
Burton Street

0345 8 506 506