I am a carer

What does the Care Act mean to me?

From April 2015, changes to the way care and support is provided in England mean you may be able to get more help so that you can carry on caring and look after your own wellbeing.

You may be eligible for support, which can be taken as a personal budget to spend on the things that make caring easier or practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. You may prefer to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

The council covering the area where the person you care for lives can help you find the right support and may suggest that you have a carer’s assessment.  So if the person you care for lives in Wakefield, then you will need to contact us.

A carer’s assessment will look at the different ways that caring affects your life and help you work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. Your physical and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of this assessment. As a result of the assessment, you may be eligible for support from us, and we will also offer you advice and guidance to help you with your caring responsibilities.

You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from us, and they will not need to be assessed.



Who do I contact for an assessment?

If you are a carer and would like free confidential information and support please contact Carers Wakefield and District on 01924 305 544 or visit their website.

More information and advice on local services available, in your local area, for you and the person you care for, can be found on Connect to Support

If you need a Carer’s Assessment, or further assistance or support then please contact Social Care Direct using the information to the right of this page.​


Contact us

Social Care Direct

Fax: 01924 303455
We accept Type Talk calls

0345 8 503 503