Caring for someone

What is a carer?

A carer is anyone who looks after a family member, partner, or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, mental health problem or addiction and cannot cope without their support. The care they give is unpaid and would include parent carers of a disabled child and young carers looking after a member of the family.

Many people who care for others don't see themselves as carers. This is because they see themselves as a husband, wife, partner, son, daughter, brother, sister, friend etc. It is important that people are encouraged to recognise that they are carers so that they can be signposted to support at the earliest opportunity.

As an adult carer you are entitled to a carers assessment. The assessment looks at how caring affects your life, including for example, physical, mental and emotional needs, and whether you are able or willing to carry on caring.

The person you're looking after can also have a social care needs assessment. This assessment is a discussion with the person you care for (and you) to find out more about the kind of things that they need support with.

Support for Carers

Caring for someone can be rewarding but it can also be tiring, demanding and stressful. It is really important that carers take care of their own health and well-being. It may be helpful to let your GP know if you are a carer.

There are a number of local and national organisations available to help support both adult carers and young carers.

Carers Wakefield and District

Provide local support and information for people who are carers and for professionals who work with carers. They also provide breaks for people who are carers, advice about benefits and other entitlements and support groups.p>

Tel: 01924 305 544 

Free Carers Digital Resource

The resource is free and offers up to date information, e-learning opportunities, and a care coordination app that families can use for timetabling care provision. Code DGTL7298

Age UK

Offers information, advice, support groups and services for people over 50 and their families.

Tel: 01977 552114

Alzheimer's Society

Offers information and support groups for people with Alzheimer's/ dementia services and their families.

Tel: 01924 373264

Barnardo's Wesail

Providing advice and support for parents of children with special educational needs (SEN), and young people with SEN.

Tel: 01924 304152

Live Well Wakefield

Offering advice and support for adults in Wakefield (18+) who are struggling with everyday life.

Tel: 01924 255363  

Wakefield Connect to Support

Safer Place Scheme

Carers UK

Carers Direct helpline

Carers Trust

Family Action Helpline

Carers Rights Guide

Support for Young Carers

Children First Hubs

Offers a variety of support including assessments, information, advice and individual support for young carers and their families in the Wakefield district area

To find out more:

Information for professionals working with young people

Wakefield Youth Support

Lots of information for young people and for those who may be helping to take care of someone.


It's your choice but you could tell a teacher at your school or college if you are caring for someone. They may be able to offer some support with school and college work.

Planning for Emergencies and the Future

As a carer you may find it useful to think about planning for the future. This may be in case of an emergency and you are no longer able to provide care, or it may be for when the person you care for no longer needs your help.

Whatever the circumstance you may wish to have a plan in place. Don't forget to share it with the people that matter so they know what to do.

Some of the things you may want to think about:

  • Who needs to be involved in the planning/discussions and making decisions?
  • Where will the cared for person live?
  • Who would you like to offer support, care and friendship to the cared for person?
  • Are there any legal, financial or practical arrangements that would need to be put in place, that is, guardianship, power of attorney, wills and trusts?
  • What support or services would be needed for the cared person for in a change of circumstances?
  • Who will ensure the cared for persons health care needs and rights are protected?
  • Who would you like to share this plan with and where will you keep it?
  • How will you adapt to any changes?

Useful links

Carers Assessments

Contact us

Social Care Direct

Fax: 01924 303455
We accept Type Talk calls

0345 8 503 503