Residential care

Residential homes for adults and older people

Residential care provides accommodation, meals, leisure activities, personal care and emotional support, 24 hours per day, seven days a week. Residential placements are for people over the age of 18 who live in Wakefield and can't live independently at home due to physical or learning disabilities.

A care home can be either a residential or nursing home or both. Some homes cater for people with different needs, for example older people over 65, people with dementia, older and younger people with physical disabilities and people with learning disabilities.

Before entering a care home you or the person you care for will need to have been assessed. An assessment may also be required by a health care professional to sse if you have nursing needs.

Choosing a care home

The best way to choose a care home is to go and have a look round.

You can check for current vacancies by:

  • Ringing the home directly
  • Contacting your social worker or Care Co-ordinator
  • Contacting Social care Direct

For information on how to pay residential care fees see How to pay Council bills.

Contact us

Social Care Direct

Fax: 01924 303455
We accept Type Talk calls

0345 8 503 503