Using your Personal Budget

Once your care and support plan is agreed there are different ways you can choose to take your Personal Budget. A Personal Budget is part of something called Self-Directed Support.

We will explain the different ways and then ask you which one you would prefer to choose.

  • Managed Account: we manage your budget and arrange services from a range of providers that the council commissions from
  • Cash Budget: we provide you or an agreed third party with a cash budget/direct payment. You, or they, arrange your care and support. You can only use the money on things that help you achieve the outcomes agreed in your care and support plan. Things like:
    • employing support workers or personal assistants
    • buying services from an agency or organisation
  • Individual Service Fund: an organisation, the ‘ISF Provider’, holds your budget on your behalf. They will also help you to decide how best to achieve the outcomes agreed in your care and support plan. You can pick your ISF Provider from the list of accredited organisations provided below

How much will I have to pay for my care and support?

Some people may be required to pay towards the cost of their care and support (personal budget).

The amount you have to pay (or contribute) for your care and support will depend on:

  • the care and support you receive
  • your income
  • savings 
  • other personal circumstances.

We will complete a financial assessment with you. We will work out whether you must contribute towards the cost of your care and to tell you how much that will be.

The financial assessment will be different depending on whether your care is provided in your own home or in a residential home. If you decide to move into residential home then you will always have to contribute towards the cost of your care.

Some people may need to pay the full cost of their care. We refer to this as being a self – funder. If you are a self-funder you can choose to arrange your own care or you can still ask us to help with this.

When making important financial, you may want to seek independent financial advice. It's always worth researching the costs of alternatives first.

More information on paying for your care

Go back to the start >>

Contact us

Social Care Direct

Fax: 01924 303455
We accept Type Talk calls

0345 8 503 503