Disabled Facilities Grant process

​Children or young adults, or their parents or carers, are not financially assessed for any recommended work providing they are still eligible for Child Benefit.

Following the assessment carried out with you or your child by an Occupational Therapist if you or your child meet the criteria for major adaptations you or your child’s request will be supported and passed on to the Adaptations Service Delivery Team for consideration for funding through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you or your child to continue to live there. A grant is paid when we consider that changes are necessary to meet your needs and that the work is reasonable and practical.

Who can get a Disabled Facilities Grant?

You or your child can claim if you or your child or someone living in your property is disabled and:

  • you or your child or the person on whose behalf you or your child are applying are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of the property
  • you can certify that the property is your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period (which is currently five years)
  • you can certify that you/they intend to live in the property as your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period (five years)

A landlord may apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.

What you can use it for

A grant can be used for adaptations to give you or your child easy access into and around your home and/or to provide access to essential facilities in your home.
If you or your child are disabled acceptable types of work include:

  • widening doors and installing ramps
  • providing or improving access to rooms and facilities - for example by installing a through floor lift or providing a downstairs bathroom or adapted kitchen
  • improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your/your child’s needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • improving access to and movement around the home to enable you to care for another person who lives in the property such as a child
  • safe environment following a risk assessment either in your home or garden
  • provide access to an existing appropriate outdoor space. (The Secretary of State added this mandatory right).

An Occupational Therapist will look at your/your child’s circumstances and recommend the type of adaptation(s) needed. These will be assessed in line with the Adaptations Service Eligibility Criteria.

How to Appeal

If you or your child are refused a Disabled Facilities Grant or if you are unhappy with amount you have been awarded you can ask for the reasons for refusal/how the grant was calculated to be explained (there is no provision for an ‘appeal’ against refusal of a grant).

If you are still unhappy, you can make a formal complaint. Contact us and ask for our appeals and complaints procedure.

If after having appealed to us you are still not happy with the outcome, you may register your complaint with the Council Complaints and Representations Team or Local Government Ombudsman.

Approved List of Contractors – Disabled Facilities Grants (Private Sector work)

We are establishing an approved list of contractors to carry out adaptation works, funded by the Disabled Facilities Grants, for residents in privately rented or owner occupied properties.

The works will require contractors to enter into contracts with owners or tenants of private properties benefitting from a Disabled Facilities Grant which is administered by Wakefield Council. The Council will not be party to the contract and the liability to pay for the adaptations will be the resident’s.

We cannot give any guarantee of likely or potential business levels that could be achieved through this approved list and requirements will be on purely a client request/need basis.

The Approved List will remain open for contractors to apply for admission onto for a period of five years from 1 April 2016. However, applications will only be assessed at specific intervals as detailed in the application form.

Types of Work

The approved list will be split into the following types of work. Contractors can apply to be included on the approved list for any or all of the types of work listed.

  1. Ramps for disabled householders
  2. Shower room adaptations
  3. Extensions for disabled householders

Any contractor wishing to apply for the approved list should download the documentation from the YORtender site (www.yortender.co.uk). For assistance with registering on the YORtender site and/or accessing the application documents, please email procontractsuppliers@proactis.com

Alternatively, application documents can be obtained by writing to:
Adaptations Delivery Manager
Adaptations Service,
Castleford Civic Centre
Ferrybridge Road
WF10 4 JH

Contact us

Adaptations Service

Civic Centre
WF10 4JH

01977 722 220