Brexit - Transition period

The UK ended its EU membership on 31 January 2020 and is now in a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. The current rules on trade, travel and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021. You should prepare now.

Update: Application processing times due to Covid-19

There will be delays in processing applications due to coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Home Office is not accepting documents by post and has advised that for documents posted after 25 March 2020, there may be a delay in them being returned to the sender.

For documents posted on or before 25 March 2020, these will returned as soon as possible.

For further information please read EU Settlement Scheme: current estimated processing times for applications

On this page:

  • EU citizens and people with a passport from an EU country
  • Uk residents travelling to the EU
  • Businesses
  • Useful links for Wakefield businesses and residents
  • Links to transition information

EU citizens and people with a passport from an EU country


You can apply directly through the It is free of cost. For vulnerable and at-risk EU citizens in Wakefield, help is available through a local organisation, MJ Languages Polish Centre. They can be contacted online, or on 01924-365-644 or

Information material can be downloaded to be printed for display or distribution. These include

  • Introduction for community groups
  • Presentation
  • Factsheet
  • Leaflet
  • Poster
  • Social media graphics and videos
Download them in English or in 26 EU languages, including Welsh and Irish. 

UK residents travelling to the EU

Travelling to EU countries will require additional preparation in terms of travel documents for you and your pets, health care, mobile roaming charges and driving permits. Check what you need to do when going to the EU.


If you move goods into or out of the EU, you must get an EORI number. You should also decide how you want to make customs declarations and whether you need to deal with customs for you. As a Wakefield district business The Council’s business team provides support for businesses.

UK citizens who want to live and work in EU countries

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country. You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you’re covered for healthcare. You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Useful links for Wakefield businesses and residents

All transition period information

Updated: 30 March 2020