Report a noise problem

​Before you start

We deal with noise that is considered to be unreasonable to the average person, called a "statutory nuisance" in legal terms.

Only complete this form if you have already spoken to the person causing the noise or if you are not willing to speak to them. 

For advice on dealing with your complaint, or tips on how to approach your neighbour about noise, please see our booklet: Your Neighbour, Your Choice.

You can also read our guide What is a Statutory Nuisance? to see if your complaint is covered by this legislation.  If it is please ring us to report it.

If the noise is not a statutory nuisance, but the conduct is unreasonable and is having a detrimental effect, of a persistent or continuing nature, on the quality of life of those in the area then we may link in with the Council’s Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) Team or the Police to consider action under their ASB legislation.  For more information see the West Yorkshire Police website.

Changes during the Coronavirus pandemic

The Environmental Health, Community Protection Team Officers, including those that work on a night, all now work in a COVID-19 Secure way to ensure we protect you and our staff while progressing your jobs. Our Officers will explain how this will work when they contact you. Please help us we will ask questions of you and have new procedures, particularly indoors, to protect us both, when visits are made.

We are still monitoring all types of ongoing pollution jobs (noise, smoke, smells, light, dust) to progress complaints. To get onto the list for a visit please return your Nuisance Form to and an Officer will contact you to discuss how we can help witness the problem you are affected by.

Most people can hear noise from their neighbours at some time, but when it is regular or excessive then it can become a real problem.  For a range of options to help deal with noisy neighbours take a look at our Your Neighbour, Your Choice leaflet.

Noise from pubs, clubs and events

If you have live music, DJ's, karaoke or similar entertainment the noise may affect neighbours. Our Simple Guide for Managing Entertainment Noise can help event organisers manage noise so it doesn't become a problem.

Construction noise

Construction activity generates more noise than is usual for an area. Detailed guidance on how to control noise from construction activity is provided in the approved Code of Practice: BS 5228 - Noise from Construction and Open Sites.

Building contractors can apply for a Prior Consent which sets out the agreed way in which construction activity will be carried out to minimise noise disturbance.

Environmental Health also recommend planning conditions for large construction sites close to residents, particularly when sites will be in use for an extended time, the main noise control is an hours restriction: 7:30am-6pm Monday to Friday and 8:30am-2pm Saturday.

Had a noise complaint made against you?

Here are some simple things you can help to prevent causing a noise problem:

  • Keep noise down late at night when neighbours are trying to sleep.
  • Let neighbours know if you're having a party, building work or other unusual activity – if people know what's happening and when it's due to end they are usually more accepting of it.
  • Try and understand why your dog might be barking, there will be a reason why and something you can do – see our leaflet for more information.
  • Complete our Alarm Keyholder Registration Form so we know who to contact if your alarm goes off accidentally.
What action we will take

We aim to provide the most suitable response for each noise complaint we receive. If this is the first complaint you have made we will ask you for more information on a simple form. When you return your completed form to an Officer will contact you to discuss if we can help you. Officers may then send an advisory letter or visit the person causing you the problem and this is often all that is required. If this doesn't work then our Officers will investigate and gather evidence to take formal statutory nuisance action if necessary.

What legal action we can take?

We have a range of powers available to deal with noisy neighbours, including:

  • Serving a Legal Notice
  • Seizing equipment used to cause noise nuisance
  • Disconnecting sounding alarms
  • Prosecuting people who continue to cause noise nuisance

You will need to tell us:

  • What the noise is
  • How often it happens
  • At what time of day it happens
  • Who is responsible for the noise (if known)

Your information is confidential and will not be disclosed to a third party.

Report a noise problem

Contact us

Environmental Health

Wakefield Council
Wakefield One
PO Box 700
Burton Street

0345 8 506 506