Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC)
Household waste recycling centres (tips) are for Wakefield residents to recycle and dispose of their household waste.
They are managed and operated by our partner Renewi. Together, we’re working hard to keep our waste services going.
All Renewi Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) will reopen from Monday 11 May, with additional safety and social distancing measures in place.
Please only visit if you really need to and follow the on-site guidance at all times for the safety of staff and visitors.
We will monitor demand for the first few weeks of the site reopening and will identify if a booking system needs to be introduced.
Please read the following information and guidance before you visit:
HWRCs are open for essential visits only.
The household waste recycling centres are open for essential visits only. This means only bringing waste that you can’t safely store at home.
We are currently not allowing vans, pickups (open or closed back e.g. Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi L200 etc ), minibuses or any size trailers on site – but we will continue to review this, and as soon as it is safe to do so, access will be made available.
You should not visit a HWRC if you are unwell, as you should be following the 7-day self-isolation guidance, or if a member of your household is unwell and you should be following the 14 day stay at home guidance.
To keep all staff and visitors safe on site, please follow the safety and social distancing rules at all times:
- Bring your permit or proof of address, Permits will not be issued at HWRCs please apply on line or via the contact centre 0345 8 506 506
- One person per car – unless you have impaired mobility, or dependents; passengers must remain in your car
- No assistance will be given on site to unload
- Wash your hands before your visit and when you get home
- Use garden gloves or disposable gloves on site
- Be patient and expect queuing
- No pedestrian access
- Fewer cars will be allowed on site together
- We may need to close earlier than the advertised opening times
We’re all working really hard to keep everyone safe on site during this challenging time. Please treat our staff with respect and kindness during your visit.
Thank you for:
- Protecting our staff
- Following social distancing rules
- Being considerate of others
- Being patient
Anyone not co-operating or posing a risk to themselves or others will not be allowed on site.
Check opening times and other information on Renewi’s website
Permits to access recycling centres
You'll need a permit to prove that you're a Wakefield resident. You can get your free permit by following the link below:
Apply for a permit >>
These items belong at the recycling centres at Glasshoughton, South Kirkby or Wakefield:
- Paint tins
- Engine oil
- Cooking oil
- Clothes and textiles
- Hand tools
Glasshoughton Household Waste Recycling Centre
South Kirkby Household Waste Recycling Centre
Wakefield Household Waste Recycling Centre