Report a noise problem

Changes during the coronavirus pandemic

The Environmental Health team are now ready to work in a COVID-19 Secure way to ensure we protect you and our staff while progressing your jobs. 

Our Officers will explain how this will work when they contact you.  Please bear with us, we will be contacting a large backlog of customers and the important thing for us is to ensure both you and our Officers stay safe when we are trying to help you.  

The night time noise team will reopen on 22 August 2020 with Covid Secure measures in place.  

We will be monitoring all types of ongoing pollution jobs (noise, smoke, light, dust) to progress customers complaints.  To get onto the list for a night time visit please return your Nuisance Form to and an Officer will contact you to discuss how we can help witness the problem you are affected by.

​Before you start

We can only deal with noise that is considered to be unreasonable to the average person (called a "statutory nuisance" in legal terms), to find out more see our guide: What is a Statutory Nuisance?

What we need to know

  • What the noise is
  • How often it happens
  • At what time of day it happens
  • Who is responsible for the noise

Your information is confidential and will not be disclosed to a third party.

Start now >>

Other information

Bothered by a noisy neighbour?

Most people can hear noise from their neighbours at some time, but when it is regular or excessive then it can become a real problem.  For a range of options to help deal with noisy neighbours take a look at our Your Neighbour, Your Choice leaflet.

What action will we take?

We aim to provide the most suitable response for each noise complaint we receive.  In the majority of cases a simple advisory letter is all that is required, but if this doesn't work then our officers will investigate to see if legal action should be taken.  See our Frequently Asked Questions for more details.

What legal action can we take?

We have a range of powers available to deal with noisy neighbours, including:

  • Serving a Legal Notice
  • Seizing equipment used to cause noise nuisance
  • Disconnecting sounding alarms
  • Prosecuting people who continue to cause noise nuisance
  • Anti-social Behaviour Order if the noise causes harassment, alarm or distress.

Had a noise complaint made against you?

Here are some simple things you can help to prevent causing a noise problem:

  • Keep noise down late at night when neighbours are trying to sleep.
  • Let neighbours know if you're having a party, building work or other unusual activity – if people know what's happening and when it's due to end they are usually more accepting of it.
  • Try and understand why your dog might be barking, there will be a reason why and something you can do – see our leaflet for more information.
  • Complete our Alarm Keyholder Registration Form so we know who to contact if your alarm goes off accidentally.

Noise from pubs, clubs and events

If you have live music, DJ's, karaoke or similar entertainment the noise may affect neighbours. Our Simple Guide for Managing Entertainment Noise can help event organisers manage noise so it doesn't become a problem.

Construction Noise

Construction activity generates more noise than is usual for an area. Detailed guidance on how to control noise from construction activity is provided in the approved Code of Practice: BS 5228 - Noise from Construction and Open Sites.

Building contractors can apply for a Prior Consent which sets out the agreed way in which construction activity will be carried out to minimise noise disturbance.

Contact us

Environmental Health

Wakefield Council
Wakefield One
PO Box 700
Burton Street

0345 8 506 506