Gymnastics is an exciting, accessible and inclusive sport that promotes an active and healthy lifestyle and also develops fundamental skills in movement and coordination.
Sport and Active Lifestyles gymnastics sessions are provided by fully qualified coaches and are available at
These sessions offer a progressive development pathway and enable children and young people the opportunity to reach their maximum potential with a wide range of fun and challenging sessions are offered where children can:
- Start from as young as 18 months old (Thornes Park Stadium) and from 5 years old at Featherstone Sports Centre and Knottingley Sports Centre
- Progress through the British Amateur Gymnastics Award (BAGA) Scheme, which is designed to help develop the 'core' gymnastics skills such as balance, strength, flexibility and co-ordination
After these initial stages have been completed more specific coaching can take place to allow further progression by being invited to join a Gymnastics Club in the district, such as Wakefield Gym Club or Jesters Gym Club.
For further information regarding how to enrol your child onto a gymnastics course please contact Thornes Park Stadium on 01924 302385 or email
Freestyle 8 +
Freestyle combines parkour, free running, and urban gymnastics.
The sessions are pay-as-you-play and do not follow any pre-set guidelines or performance-based awards. The sessions take place in the high performance centre, tumble pit and on climbing blocks and other equipment.
Numbers are strictly limited and we operate a first-come-first-served policy. Fully qualified gymnastics coaching staff are always on hand to provide advice, support and demonstrations throughout the session. We use the British Gymnastics coaching ratio of 1 coach to 16 participants.
No Fixed Term
Pay as you go
|Session length||Under 16||Over 16|
- All sessions work on a pre- pay system
- £4.40 per hour for a standard session (Gym Joeys / pre BAGA / BAGA) – prices do vary dependent on length of session
- Street Dance/Freestyle is now £5.30 pay and play rather than 4 week block booking.
- The payment covers a block of weeks which varies depending on the session.
- Pre - pay is a payment due before the gymnastic term starts. A term consists of either 6, 7 or 8 weeks
- Payments are made in full and can be paid in cash, cheque or by credit card, in person or by phone
- There are no refunds for a non-attendance once a place has been confirmed
- If your child is ill, please contact the site to inform them of any non-attendance
- Please note that Freestyle Gymnastics operates on a pay and play system, working on a first come first serve basis
Gym Joey (Term time only) 18 months to 4 years
|Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays||9.45am - 10.30am||10.45am - 11.30am||1pm - 1.45pm||2pm - 2.45pm|
|Wednesdays||9.45am - 10.30am||10.45am - 11.30am||1pm - 1.45pm|||
Pre BAGA 4 years
|Monday||4pm - 4.45pm||4.15pm - 5pm||5pm - 5.45pm|
|Wednesday||4pm - 4.45pm||4.15pm - 5pm||5pm - 5.45pm|
BAGA Gymnastics 5 years and Over
|Mon||5pm - 6pm||6pm - 7pm|||||
|Tue||4.30pm - 5.30pm|||||||
|Wed||5pm - 6pm||6pm - 7pm|||||
|Fri||4pm - 5pm||5pm - 6pm||6pm - 7pm|||
|Sat||9am - 10am||10am - 11am||11am - 12pm||12pm - 13pm|
Junior Gymnastics Club
|Monday||5pm - 6pm||6pm - 7pm|
|Tuesday||4.30pm - 5.30pm|||
|Wednesday||5pm - 6pm||6pm - 7pm|
|Friday||4pm - 5pm||5pm - 7pm|
|Saturday||9am - 11pm||11pm - 1pm|
Wakefield Disability Sports Directory
This download details the disability sport and physical activity opportunities in the district and accessibility at our sports facilities