Compliments and complaints

We are pleased to receive your comments and views, and aim to use what you tell us to make improvements. To help us to do this we have a customer feedback scheme so you are able to compliment us, make comments about what we do, raise concerns and make complaints. We want you to tell us where we are going wrong, as well as when we are doing a good job.

When we get a compliment we will share it with others and make sure it is passed to the right service and the people you are pleased with.

Response times are listed in our Compliments, comments and complaints leaflet

You can tell us about your compliment, comment or complaint:

How to make a complaint 

We can look at complaints about most council services as detailed below: 

Corporate Services

  • Neighbour and noise nuisance
  • Household waste and recycling collections
  • Potholes/condition of road surfaces
  • Street sweeping/litter bins
  • Planning matters
  • Council Tax/benefits
  • Libraries
  • Sports & leisure facilities

Comments, compliments and complaints for Corporate Services should be sent to:

Health and Safety complaints

The Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel looks into complaints regarding advice given by Health and Safety Executive or Local Authority inspectors about health and safety which you think is incorrect or exceeds what is required to control the risk adequately.

Food safety and hygiene complaints (Business Compliance Team)

If you are unhappy about anything relating to your food complaint/inspection or food advice, please contact the Business Compliance Manager on 0345 8 506 506.

Your business has the right to make an appeal against a local authority decision if you do not agree with the action taken by a local authority inspector.

For full information please contact

Social Care complaints

  • Adult social care
  • Children's social care

Comments, compliments and complaints for social care are dealt with under a separate procedure by law. If your complaint is about Social Services please contact:


Schools are managed independently of Wakefield Council. If you have a complaint about a school, you should contact the school directly. If you need more advice please contact the family services complaints team (see above).


If you want to complain about a councillor you should write to:

The Council's Monitoring Officer
Town Hall, Wood Street, Wakefield, WF1 2HQ

How to complain about a Councillor

How to make a compliment

  • Are you pleased with our service?
  • Has someone gone the extra mile for you?
  • We want to know when we provide excellent services to our customers!

We value the importance of feedback when things have gone well. We recognise the importance of compliments in helping us to continue to get things right for our customers. We will ensure your compliment is passed to the right service.