If you are a parent or carer of a new-born baby or are expecting, there is lots of practical advice and tips on safe and positive ways to hold and care for your child. This will help keep them safe and give them the best start in life.
The NSPCC offers the following advice on caring for you baby:
- Skin-to-skin contact, massage and eye contact all help you bond with your child
- Checking if they are hungry, need changing or are too hot or cold can help you find out why they might be crying.
- Cuddling, rocking, singing and playing music can all help sooth your baby
- Babies like to be held with their heads and necks supported and close so that they feel secure.
- It's important to keep your cool with your child - never shake or rough handle a baby.
- Creating a distraction and draw their attention to something else can help when dealing with tantrums.
For more information on caring for your baby, visit the NSPCC website or
download and keep this PDF.
If you would like to speak to someone in person for advice you can call the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000 or email