Looked after children and care leavers
We are committed to ensuring that every looked after child has the best possible start in life, is given help to achieve their potential and experiences safe and positive parenting.
Our looked after children and care leavers rely on all agencies to work together to meet their needs.
Such a joined up approach is only possible when everyone understands and accepts their responsibilities for this group of children and young people.
The looked after children strategy describes the contributions of all partner agencies that are required to further improve outcomes for this group of children and young people.
The priorities we want to achieve:
- good and effective corporate parenting
- children and young people feeling involved and respected
- children and young people feeling safe and nurtured
- recruiting, supporting and retaining carers
- children and young people being supported to maintain and build positive relationships with others
- children and young people understanding and developing their identity
- children and young people becoming effective learners
- children and young people being emotionally, mentally and physically healthy
- children and young people developing into successful and responsible adults
Services for Looked after Children in Wakefield
Integrated Placement Strategy for Looked After Children
Wakefield Looked after Children and Care Leavers Strategy 2014 -2017
The Pledge to Children in Care and Care Leavers
Children and Young People's Safeguarding Charter
Independent Reviewing Officers (IRO) Annual Report 2014/15