Park open every day
|1 April - 31 October||11am - 4pm|
|1 November - 31 March||10.30am - 3.30pm|
Located 4 miles south-east of Wakefield, Anglers Country Park is dominated by a lake, surrounded by grassland, woodland and a wetland area known as the 'Pol'. At one time this was the deepest open cast coal mine in the country, reaching a depth of 250 feet.
Anglers has been awarded Green Flag status - recognising it as one of the best parks in the country.
Facilities and activities
- Free parking
- Toilets 9am – 4.30pm
- Changing Places facility
- Free electric mobility scooters
- Bike hire
- Pushchair and wheelchair friendly
- Adventure playground
- Picnic areas
- Information panels
At the visitor centre:
- Information, maps and leaflets
- Kids activity area
Room on the Broom Adventure Trail
- 2 mile Lakeside trail
- Trail suitable for walkers, joggers, cyclists
- Also for mobility scooters and horse riders
- Woodland walk - for walkers and joggers
- Waterton Trail passes through the park
- Bird hides - located on main lake and 'Pol'
You can buy:
- Orienteering maps
- I.D. charts
- Room on the Broom activity packs
- Room on the Broom merchandise
- Small pocket money items
- Bird food for the birds around the lake
A local nature reserve - managed to protect and improve its habitats for the benefit of wildlife.
There is always something different to see as the wildlife changes with the seasons:
- Spring sees the arrival of the Swifts and the Swallows to the lake and the grassland.
- Summer brings damselflies and dragonflies to the water's edge.
- Autumn sees the arrival of waterfowl including Wigeon and Goldeneye.
Wildlife sightings are noted on a blackboard at the entrance to the park.
The Management Plan detailing how the site is managed and looked after can be found in the visitor centre. For other options of how to see the Plan please contact us.
The Friends of Haw Park Wood and Wintersett help the Countryside Officers (rangers) to manage and maintain the site. Past activities have included cutting back trees on the 'Pol' and installation of nest boxes around the site.
If you are interested in local volunteering opportunities on this and other sites please get in touch.