Regeneration in Wakefield City
Turning Wakefield into an even better place to work, live and visit is at the heart of the regeneration work.
Future High Street Fund
Wakefield are submitting a bid up to £35 million to the Future High Street Fund. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/future-high-streets-fund. Consultation is currently underway, below are the proposals for you to view and feedback form.
Please return any feedback to MajorProjects@wakefield.gov.uk by Friday 21st February 2020.
Wakefield Future High Street Fund.pdf
Wakefield Future High Street Fund Form.doc
Heritage Action Zone
Wakefield have been successful in securing funding through the Heritage Action Zone https://historicengland.org.uk/services-skills/heritage-action-zones/regenerating-historic-high-streets/ .
This is an initiative to create economic growth and improve quality of life in places. Working with local people and partners, including local authorities, Historic England is helping to breathe new life into old places that are rich in heritage and making them more attractive to residents, businesses, tourists and investors.
Wakefield Heritage Action Zone Survey.doc
Upper Westgate Heritage Action Zone.pdf
Wakefield Heritage Action Zone.pdf
Heritage Action Zone Flyer.pdf
Regeneration activity has built upon:
- Wakefield Renaissance Charter 2002 which helped to guide comprehensive regeneration in the city focused upon the improvement of the physical environment and the direct involvement of local people in the process
- The Central Wakefield Area Action Plan (CWAAP), adopted in 2009 as the statutory Development Plan for the city centre
The key objective in the CWAAP is for central Wakefield to become within 10 to 15 years a "distinctive and vibrant centre at the heart of the District's economy, making a significant contribution to the prosperity and diversity of the Leeds City Region and the Yorkshire and Humber region".
Over the last few years the Council has worked hard with partners to deliver a number of major projects, all of which are changing the face of the city:
- First phases of Wakefield Waterfront, including new residential, office and leisure develpment (CTP Wakefield Ltd) and the internationally acclaimed Hepworth Wakefield gallery and centre for creative arts
- irst phases of the Merchant Gate mixed-use development including new residential, office and leisure development (English Cities Fund), 1450-space multi-storey car park and new mainline Wakefield Westgate railway station
- Trinity Walk, a major new 500,000 sq ft shopping centre (Sovereign Land, AREA Property Partners and Shepherd Construction)
- Completion of a city centre public realm programme creating new public spaces and refurbished streets
- Completion of significant parts of the Emerald Ring, a new circulation traffic system with new sections of road to reduce city centre traffic and a pedestrian-friendly central area (this includes the North Wakefield Gateway)
Building upon this work, the next priorities for regeneration activity in Wakefield City as identified in the Jobs and Growth Delivery Plan are:
- Delivery of the next phase of development of Merchant Gate following completion of the new Wakefield Westgate railway station
- Delivery of the next phase of the Waterfront development, focused on Rutland Mills
- Regeneration of the Kirkgate development area through preparation of a Kirkgate Master Plan and Kirkgate Regeneration Exhibition, with the creation of new development opportunities, access and highway improvements, relocation of West Yorkshire Archives to Kirkgate and completion of the refurbishment of Kirkgate Station
- Kirkgate Highways Regeneration Scheme
- Support and further redevelopment of the Civic Quarter through preparation of a Civic Quarter Master Plan and Civic Quarter Regeneration Exhibition, including the development of a new University Centre
- Delivery of key housing and employment sites such as the Wakefield East / City Fields area
For further information about the Regeneration projects in Wakefield City, please get in touch using the 'Contact Us' details.