Watch Cllr David Jones receive his flu jab to find out
just how quick and easy it is to protect yourself from the flu.
Don’t put off getting the flu vaccination; if you’re eligible get it now. It’s free because you need it. If you have a long-term health condition, even one that is well managed, or you are pregnant, you are at greater risk of severe complications if you catch flu.
The nasal spray vaccination is a quick, painless and effective way for children aged 2-8 to be protected from flu without the need for injections.
Don’t wait until there’s a flu outbreak - if you’re eligible for the free flu jab contact your GP, practice nurse or local community pharmacy today.
Eligible groups include:
- everyone aged 65 and over
- all pregnant women, at any stage of pregnancy
- all two, three and four year old children
- School-aged children in recption class and years 1-4
- everyone living in a residential or nursing home
- everyone who cares for an older or disabled person
- all frontline health and social care workers
- Those seriously overweight (BMI of 40 and above)
Also eligible are people with long-term health conditions including:
- Chronic (long term) respiratory disease such as asthma
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
- Chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- Chronic neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease or motor neurone disease
- People with problems with their spleen – for example, sickle cell disease, or have had their spleen removed
- People with a weakened immune system due to conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or as a result of medication such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy