Driver licences - hackney carriage and private hire
If you want to drive a hackney carriage (taxi) or a private hire vehicle in the Wakefield District then you must hold a valid hackney carriage or private hire driver licence.
Applying for a hackney carriage and/or private hire driver licence
Please complete the
application form. Details of the information you need to include with your application are included on the form.
Considering your application
Initial grant of a licence will depend on you producing/passing the following:
- Application Form
- Driving Licence (held for at least 3 years)
- Functional Skills Literacy and Numeracy Assessment Level 1
- Knowledge Test
- Proof of Right to Work in the UK
- Medical Certificate
- DSA Certificate
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Application - It is now your responsibility to ensure that once you have received your DBS Certificate through the post you produce it at the Licensing Office in order for your application to be processed.
- ID Documents to support your DBS application
For a detailed explanation of all the above please see the Application guidance notes in downloads.
There are a number of conditions attached to both types of driver licences and you will need to be fully aware of them before you begin driving.
From 17 June 2013, anyone who applies for their next criminal record check can also choose to subscribe online to the
DBS update service. This will allow them to keep their criminal record certificate up to date, the individual will then take their Certificate with them from role to role where the same level and type of check are required. You can contact the DBS update service on 0870 90 90 811 or at
The first grant of a licence is valid for up to 1 year
Renewed licences are available for periods of 1, 2 or 3 years.
If you intend to start a business to make bookings for private hire vehicles then you will require an operator’s licence.
Private hire operator's licence application form
If you wish to see further information on licences granted you can view these on the