Performing animals


Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925


If you keep or train animals for public performance – for example, in a circus, television or film production, or a theatre performance – you’ll need to register with your local council.

You’ll need to give details of the animals and the performances they’ll be taking part in when you apply.

If the council approves your application, they will give you a certificate confirming that you have the right to keep the animals and use them in performance.

The Act only applies to vertebrates.

Apply for a performing animals registration

Applications can be made on the associated application form and you will be invoiced when your application has been processed.

Alternatively applications can be made via the following link (including online payment options)

There are no specific conditions attached to the registration. The registration does not require a renewal however you should apply for a variation should circumstances change.

Under the Act local authorities are required to send copies of any certificates to DEFRA

Contact us

Environmental Health

Wakefield Council
Wakefield One
PO Box 700
Burton Street

0345 8 506 506