Food complaints

Before you start

This form is for members of the public to report food safety issues. It is not for businesses. If you are suffering from food poisoning, please contact your doctor before filling in this form.

​What we need to know

  • What sort of issue is it?
    For example, complaint about a product, the hygiene of a business or food poisoning
  • The name and address of the business
  • Details of your complaint
  • Whether you've told the business about your problem
Start now >>

Other information 

Food complaints we may investigate include:

Food complaints

  • Microbiological - mouldy or unfit food
  • Foreign object - contains a foreign body or matter that you would not expect to find in food
  • Chemical - an unusual taste or odour
  • Labelling - Food beyond its use by date

Hygiene Complaints

  • Dirty food premises
  • Poor hygiene practices in premises
  • Sightings of rats or mice inside a premises

We only investigate food safety matters that we consider present a significant public health risk. We are unable to deal with anonymous complaints, your personal details will be kept in the strictest confidence.

In many cases, the situation can be resolved by you taking the matter up with the shop, takeaway or restaurant manager. Generally, businesses are concerned to find that you have found a problem with their food and will try their best to resolve the matter and it is recommended that this should be your first course of action before contacting us.

If you ask us to investigate a complaint about food that you have bought, it may be necessary for an officer to come to collect the item and visit your home to see how the food has been stored since you bought it. However in most cases that we investigate you will be asked to bring the item into the Council offices.

We will ask you to sign a ‘declaration of surrender' when you hand over your food complaint. This is to say that you understand the following:

  • We will not pursue compensation or a refund
  • Once you hand over the complaint we will take whatever action we feel is appropriate
  • You will not get the item back once you sign it over to us.

We will not investigate a complaint where:

  • There is no public health risk
  • You have already asked the shop or restaurant to investigate a complaint about food that has something wrong with it
  • You have received a replacement, refund or compensation for the item
  • You are no longer in possession of the complaint item
  • There is undue delay between you discovering the fault and notifying us. This is because deterioration of the food over time may make it impossible for us to investigate. This is especially the case for complaints such as food that is mouldy or food that smells off.
  • The complaint is anonymous
  • You are not sure where you bought the product.

There are also a number of foreign bodies in food that can look alarming but naturally occurring and are usually harmless. These are called ‘intrinsic foreign bodies’ see the 3 common complaints documents for more information.

Food Poisoning

Food poisoning is a notifiable infectious disease, if you suspect you are suffering from food poisoning please contact us on 0345 8 506 506.

Further information on food can be found on the Public Health England (PHE) website.