Organising an occasion as big as this, is very exciting. Every wedding ceremony is individual and special. Wakefield Registration and Celebratory Services hope that this information will give you all you need to start planning your special day, whether it is to take place in one of our Ceremony Rooms or at an Approved Venue.

Choosing a venue

Choosing a venue for your wedding will be one of the most important decisions you will have to make. In the Wakefield district your wedding can only take place at one of ‘Our Venues’ or at a venue approved by the Local Authority

When you decide where you want to be married it is essential that you contact us to check availability and provisionally book a registrar. You will need to pay a non-refundable booking fee.

If you wish to change the date, time or location of your ceremony you must request this in writing and pay a £25 ceremony amendment fee.

If you wish to change the location of your ceremony, after your notice has been given please contact us to discuss on 0345 4 852 888.

Celebrate… your way

Do you have your heart set on a wedding in a barn with hay bales, a tipi in the woods, a lakeside or in a private house or garden?  Choose to celebrate your way with us, by having your legal ceremony at one of ‘Our Venues’ or another venue approved by the local authority followed by a celebration ceremony at the venue of your choice (subject to a satisfactory risk assessment).

What's next? - Giving notice of marriage

In order to get married in England or Wales one of the parties to the marriage must have resided in England or Wales. Before you can be married in England or Wales  you must each give a notice of your intention to marry to the Superintendent Registrar in the District where you live. Please note this does not apply to the of Church of England or Church of Wales.

If you are unsure where to give your notice, it is the register office in the local authority area to which you pay your Council Tax.

There are certain documents you will need to provide to give notice, these are outlined in our 'Information for giving notice of marriage'.

Notice cannot be given until you have decided on a venue and no more than 12 months in advance. We appreciate that you may wish to secure a booking with a venue more than 12 months in advance. In these circumstances we strongly recommend that you contact us to provisionally book a registrar.

The minimum period between giving notice and when a ceremony can take place is 28 clear days. Please note that if you are a non-EEA national different regulations may apply. Further information can be found on the website.

You can make an appointment to give notice by contacting us.

If you were previously in a marriage or civil partnership which was dissolved in a foreign country an additional statutory fee is payable at the time of your notice appointment.

Please note that Notices of Marriage and Notices of Civil Partnership for the Wakefield District can be viewed in the reception area of Wakefield Town Hall.

Your wedding ceremony

Your provisional booking is confirmed when you have both given your notice of marriage.

The Registrar will provide you with our marriage guide. If you live outside of Wakefield we will send a marriage guide to you in the post when we receive confirmation that you have given notice of marriage at your local Register Office.

We provide you with many opportunities to enhance and personalise your ceremony so that it is unique to you. You can include personal vows, readings and music. You can share your story, how you met, your shared hopes and aspirations. You can also choose to combine sands, which symbolizes the two of you and your families joining together as one. If there is anything additional to this that you would like to include in your ceremony please contact us to discuss.

If at this point you would like to meet a dedicated member of our ceremonies team to discuss all aspects of your marriage ceremony you can book a bespoke ceremony meeting.

Your ceremony will be delivered by a qualified, experienced and dedicated Registrar.

Returning your Ceremony Arrangement Form

You can complete an online version of your ceremony arrangement form within the approved venue marriage guide or our venue marriage guide and return it to us by email.

These forms are only available to computer users - they do not function correctly on phones and tablets.

Please return the form together with the fee and any additional information including personal vows and/or readings 8 weeks before your ceremony to the Ceremonies Manager by post or email.

To send us personal or confidential information by email we advise the use of Cryptshare, our web based secure email system.

Non personal or confidential information can be emailed to .  Any personal/confidential email sent to this email address is at your own risk.

Outdoor Structures

If your chosen venue has an approved outdoor structure and you would like your wedding ceremony to take place in there, the venue should provide you with a copy of an outdoor structure agreement form which must be completed and returned to us at least 8 weeks prior to your ceremony. If you require a copy please contact us immediately.

Please note that you should make additional plans with the venue to hold your ceremony in one of their approved ceremony rooms in case the weather is inclement on the day. The indoor ceremony room should be able to accomodate all of your invited guests.

Inclement weather is defined as rain (or the high likelihood of showers), wind, cold conditions (under 16 degrees), extremely hot and sunny and any other extreme conditions. Your guests need to be comfortable and be able to hear the ceremony, especially if you are under cover and they are not!

Your marriage in a religious building

If you are planning to be married in the Church of England you will need to speak to the person in charge at the church.

If you are planning to marry in any other church or religious building you will need to:

  • Make arrangements with the Minister or person in charge at the building
  • Live in the registration district where the church or religious building is situated, unless it is your usual place of worship (this applies to one or both of you).
  • Give notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar of the District in which you live. 

Some churches (not the Church of England) need the attendance of a registrar at the marriage, whilst some have their own registrar (an authorised person). Please speak to the Minister or person in charge to establish whether you will reqire a registrar to attend.

If you do need a registrar to attend your marriage ceremony at a religious building, you should contact us to check our availability as far in advance as possible.

Foreign nationals

If either of you is from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and subject to immigration control, you or your partner will need a visa to come to the UK to:

  • give notice
  • get married or form a civil partnership

More information

Getting married abroad

It is important that you consult with the local authorities in the country where you are planning to be  married to find out what you need to do.

Some countries may require you to give notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar of the District in which you live please contact us for further information.

Urgent marriage (death bed wedding)

Contact us

Wakefield Registration and Celebratory Services
0345 4 852 888