- (29/11/2016) Sporting history comes to Wakefield
A new exhibition telling the story of how an apprentice from Horbury created one of the world's leading sports brands is to open at Wakefield Museum.
- (29/11/2016) Prestigious award given to Wakefield Council
Wakefield Council is the first local authority to be recognised in the Princess Royal Training Awards, delivered by the City and Guilds Group.
- (28/11/2016) Council offers support to residents to stay warm this winter
Wakefield Council is offering residents the chance to save energy and make their homes warmer this winter.
- (24/11/2016) Textile trail in Wakefield
A new 'textile trail' leaflet and website have been launched – which highlight part of Wakefield's industrial heritage.
- (24/11/2016) Cabinet on Tour meeting
Wakefield Council’s Cabinet on Tour meeting, scheduled to be at South Elmsall on Tuesday (November 29), has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
- (22/11/2016) Sixteen days of Action - campaign launched against domestic violence
A national campaign to end domestic violence is being backed by Wakefield Council and partner organisations from across the district.
- (17/11/2016) New-look playground opens
Wakefield Council has installed a new playground for local children off Painthorpe Lane in Crigglestone.
- (17/11/2016) Drop into Local Offer Live 2016
An information event for carers and professionals who support children and young people with special education needs and disabilities takes place in Wakefield this month.
- (16/11/2016) Council Leader responds to Government’s preferred HS2 route
Commenting on the announcement from the Government, on the preferred route for the next phase of HS2, Wakefield Council Leader, Peter Box CBE, reiterates Wakefield Council's opposition to the initiative:
- (15/11/2016) Be prepared for winter
Residents are being reminded to be safe and keep healthy this season, with tips to plan ahead and be prepared for winter.
- (15/11/2016) Self-build register open for business
An online register for people in the Wakefield district who are interested in building their own home is now open for business.
- (15/11/2016) 'Wonder of Wakefield' makes a welcome return to the city
The ‘Wonder of Wakefield’ winter savings booklet is making a welcome return, packed full of offers to help people save on their Christmas shopping and relax in the city centre’s many restaurants and cafes
- (11/11/2016) Pontefract reveals unique Christmas lights
Christmas just got extra sparkle in Pontefract, with brand new Christmas lights inspired by the town’s famous treats.
- (10/11/2016) Events to mark Armistice Day and Remembrance in Wakefield district
Wakefield Council will be marking the Royal British Legion's national two-minute silence on Friday 11 November at 11am.
- (10/11/2016) New Minsthorpe leisure centre gets planning approval
The new multi-million pound leisure centre at Minsthorpe moves one step closer as the planning application gets approval.
- (10/11/2016) Wakefield ready for the winter weather
Following the first snow of the winter season, Wakefield Council has been in action to make sure the district's roads, schools and residents are prepared for the winter weather.
- (9/11/2016) Wakefield Council nationally recognised for Restorative Justice
Wakefield Council has been nationally recognised for the restorative services it provides across the district.
- (9/11/2016) Man must pay £1,300 in fines and court costs for fly-tipping in Wakefield district
A man who fly-tipped garden waste and rubble at a Wakefield beauty spot has been ordered to pay £1,300 in fines and court costs.
- (9/11/2016) City centre sparkles with three days of Christmas lights switch-ons
This year Wakefield Council’s City Centre Christmas lights will be switched on by popular football pundit Chris Kamara at a special event on Friday 18 November.
- (9/11/2016) Wakefield is one of the most improved cities for ‘Good Growth’
Wakefield is one of the most improved cities in the UK for ‘Good Growth’ according to a new report.
- (9/11/2016) Masterplan unveiled for City Fields development
A new masterplan for Wakefield’s City Fields development is going on display - giving people the opportunity to take a look and comment on the proposals.
- (9/11/2016) Pontefract and Castleford Christmas lights switch-ons
Christmas is coming to Pontefract and Castleford - with the switching on of Christmas lights and special festive markets.
- (8/11/2016) Cabinet on Tour visits South Elmsall
People are being invited to come along and take part in Wakefield Council’s next Cabinet on Tour event.
The meeting takes place on Tuesday 29 November at Westfield Resource Centre, South Elmsall from 10.30am to 12pm.
- (7/11/2016) Wakefield selected for electoral canvass pilot
Wakefield has successfully been chosen to take part in a pilot scheme that could help radically reduce the cost of the annual canvass.
- (1/11/2016) You Choose! How would you balance the Council’s budget for 2017/18?
Wakefield Council is asking residents and local businesses how they would choose to balance the Council’s budget by using an interactive tool on its website.
- (1/11/2016) Wakefield’s new outdoor market launches on November 17
A new outdoor market launches in Wakefield on November 17. It promises to be the biggest for the city in years with more than 60 stall holders having already signed up and more expected over coming weeks.
- (1/11/2016) Scheme to tackle congestion in Castleford
Castleford residents and business people are being asked for their views on proposals to tackle traffic congestion.