- (28/9/2016) Have your say on plans for Five Towns leisure and wellbeing centre
Residents are being encouraged to share their views on the proposal to build a state-of-the-art, multi-purpose leisure and wellbeing centre in Pontefract Park.
- (28/9/2016) Council supports Stoptober challenge
Wakefield Council is supporting the national Stoptober campaign by encouraging residents to quit smoking this October.
- (26/9/2016) Wakefield Eastern Relief Road
Work is continuing on the Wakefield Eastern Relief Road, which is set to provide an essential road link between the A642 and A638.
- (25/9/2016) Owners of historic buildings in Pontefract urged to apply for grants
Owners of historic buildings in Pontefract are being urged to apply for grants which can help to breathe new life into shops, offices and homes.
- (25/9/2016) Flair4Retail Jobs Fair comes to Castleford
The latest Flair4Retail Jobs Fair is coming to Castleford, following the huge success of the first two events in Wakefield.
Snozone, inside Xscape Castleford, will host the event on Thursday 6 October from 10am to 4pm.
- (22/9/2016) Road named in memory of Bombardier Craig Hopson
A Castleford road has been named in memory of a soldier who lost his life whilst on active service in Afghanistan.
- (22/9/2016) Budget cuts put an end to Council run bonfire event
A bonfire event in Thornes Park will no longer be run by Wakefield Council.
- (21/9/2016) Calling all empty nesters
Wakefield Council is reaching out to residents in the district who are about to wave off their own children as they head for university to think about fostering or adopting a child.
- (18/9/2016) Regionalisation of adoption services
Wakefield Council’s Cabinet are to discuss the Government’s plans to regionalise the adoption services.
- (18/9/2016) Councillors to discuss the Education and Skills Strategic Plan
Wakefield Council’s Cabinet is to discuss proposals on how to raise aspirations and achievements of residents to support growth in the district.
- (18/9/2016) Flag raised to support Bi-Visibility Day
Wakefield Council is flying a flag in support of Bi-Visibility Day – which promotes tolerance and understanding towards people who are bi-sexual.
- (14/9/2016) Pontefract Park to be home to district’s flagship, £14.8m leisure centre
The district’s biggest ever, state-of-the-art, multi-purpose leisure and wellbeing centre will be built, in Pontefract Park - if the proposals get the green light from senior councillors.
- (13/9/2016) Residents have their say on library opening hours
Proposed changes to library opening hours have been amended after Wakefield Council listened to feedback from residents.
- (12/9/2016) Council signs contract with ENGIE for a new property and facilities partnership
A new contract has been signed by Wakefield Council which heralds the start of one of the biggest changes to the way it delivers services.
- (11/9/2016) Council offers mortgage support to over 55s
Wakefield Council is launching Homesafe - a mortgage help scheme to support those aged 55 and over.
- (11/9/2016) Improvement scheme cuts queues at Town End junction
A major traffic improvement scheme has succeeded in reducing queuing times at Town End junction in Pontefract, a new survey has found.
- (7/9/2016) Machetes turn up at household recycling plant
Machetes, ceremonial swords and dead pets are among some of the more unusual items that are turning up at Wakefield’s household waste recycling plant.
- (7/9/2016) Planning application submitted for new Minsthorpe leisure centre
Plans for Minsthorpe’s new multi-million pound leisure centre have been submitted for planning permission.
- (5/9/2016) Wakefield Council wishes Paralympians luck for Rio
Wakefield Council is today wishing local athletes luck as they prepare to compete in the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio.
- (4/9/2016) Castleford Roman Festival – celebrate the town’s heritage
Castleford's rich Roman heritage is being celebrated in style on Sunday (September 11) with the launch of a new festival to be held in the town.
- (4/9/2016) Temporary closure of Ossett Library
Ossett Library is temporarily closed as building work takes place.
- (4/9/2016) Be Clear on Cancer roadshow visits Wakefield next week
The Be Clear on Cancer roadshow is visiting Wakefield city centre next week to raise awareness of the symptoms of lung cancer, lung disease and heart disease.
- (31/8/2016) Room on the broom celebrates 15 years
Wakefield Council is celebrating the 15th anniversary of the popular children's book 'Room on the Broom' with the launch of a new Scavenger Trail and a special Anniversary Party.
- (31/8/2016) Young skateboarders share ideas with senior councillor
A group of skateboarders who practice at a Wakefield park have met with a senior councillor to discuss their ideas to improve facilities.