- (28/6/2016) Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in private rented accommodation
The Council is taking action against landlords that do not have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors fitted in the homes they rent out.
- (28/6/2016) Trade mission to China
Wakefield Council is set to lead a trade delegation to China next month (15 July).
- (27/6/2016) Council objects to Post Office move
Wakefield Council is seeking assurance from the Post Office that customer needs will be met if the proposal to move the service to Trinity Walk goes ahead.
- (26/6/2016) Armed Forces Day brings crowds to Pontefract Park
Thousands of people filled Pontefract Park on Saturday (25 June) for the Council’s annual Armed Forces Day celebrations.
- (26/6/2016) Domestic abuse service aims to break cycle of abuse
Wakefield Council’s domestic abuse service is highlighting the help it offers to perpetrators of violence - in a bid to break the cycle of abuse.
- (26/6/2016) Making Council meetings more accessible
Wakefield Council is making changes to the times of some of its Full Council meetings to make it even easier for more people to attend.
- (21/6/2016) WW2 hero honoured in Castleford
A Castleford road has been named after an heroic WW2 pilot, who sacrificed his life to save the Cutsyke community in 1941.
- (21/6/2016) Castleford’s Three Lane Ends play area to get new play equipment
Castleford's Three Lane Ends play area to get new play equipment Castleford school children joined the Leader of Wakefield Council to officially reopen Three Lane Ends Play area, after a £46k transformation.
- (20/6/2016) Pontefract Liquorice Festival - a real sweet treat
The summer turns sweet on Sunday 10 July when the annual Pontefract Liquorice Festival hits the town.
- (19/6/2016) Join the Armed Forces Day celebrations this Saturday
Visit Pontefract Park this Saturday to celebrate the Council’s Armed Forces Day.
- (16/6/2016) Crowds and leader pay tribute to Jo Cox
Crowds gathered today (Friday) at Wakefield’s war memorial beside County Hall to pay tribute to Jo Cox, MP for Batley and Spen.
- (14/6/2016) Wakefield Council launches breastfeeding friendly scheme
Wakefield Council is launching the Wakefield breastfeeding friendly scheme to make it easier for mothers to breasDatfeed in the district.
- (13/6/2016) Wakefield’s Cabinet agree to express an interest in hosting Tour de Yorkshire 2017
Senior councillors have discussed next year’s Tour de Yorkshire at Wakefield Council’s Cabinet meeting held today (June 14).
- (13/6/2016) Thornes Park Stadium closed for the EU Referendum
The Council is reminding residents that Thornes Park Athletics Stadium in Wakefield will be temporarily closed to host the counting of the district’s votes on Wednesday 22, Thursday 23 and Friday 24 June.
- (13/6/2016) One minute’s silence to be held in memory of victims of Orlando shooting
Councillor Peter Box CBE, Leader of Wakefield, will today (Tuesday) lead a one minute silence to show support for those affected by the weekend’s tragic events in Orlando, USA where 50 people were killed and many more were injured.
- (12/6/2016) Civil Parking Enforcement starts in Wakefield
Wakefield Council is taking over the powers for enforcing parking restrictions across the district from13 June
- (13/6/2016) Use your vote on June 23
Voters in the district are being reminded to use their vote in the EU Referendum on Thursday 23 June
- (8/6/2016) Women in Wakefield urged to have their smear tests
Wakefield Council is reminding women across the district to go for their smear tests as one in four do not attend.
- (8/6/2016) Wakefield Builds: Council joins forces with SME housebuilders
Wakefield Council has launched a new campaign to stimulate more housing development across the district by offering greater support to smaller and medium-sized housebuilders.
- (7/6/2016) Residents invited to sign Queen’s birthday book
Residents of the Wakefield district are being given the opportunity to send their good wishes to the Queen for her 90th official birthday.
- (6/6/2016) Council proposes changes to library opening times
Wakefield Council is asking residents for their views on proposed changes to opening hours at Council libraries.
- (5/6/2016) Councillors asked to approve Early Help strategy
Councillors are being asked to approve a plan which sets out how the Council works with partners to support children and families.
- (31/5/2016) Cabinet on Tour comes to Wakefield Town Hall
People are being invited by Wakefield Council to come along and take part in the next Cabinet on Tour event.
- (31/5/2016) District’s parking charges to be reviewed
A full review of all parking charges across the district is be launched, to ensure that the new policy does more to support local business, local people and secure the future of parking facilities.
- (31/5/2016) Wakefield Council promotes sensible drinking this summer
With EURO 2016 starting next week, Wakefield Council is encouraging residents to enjoy the tournament safely.
- (31/5/2016) Wakefield Business Week starts on 13 June
Wakefield Business Week takes place this month (13 June) with a packed programme of events highlighting global opportunities, job creation, entrepreneurs, and investment in the district.