- (28/3/2016) Polling cards being delivered this week
Wakefield Council will be delivering poll cards to households in the district from tomorrow (Wednesday 30 March). Any residents that do not receive their cards are asked to get in touch.
- (24/3/2016) Wakefield Council pays tribute to those affected by the attacks in Brussels
Wakefield Council has offered its condolences to those affected by the terror attacks in Belgium.
- (24/3/2016) Temporary closure of Ossett Library for refurbishment
Ossett Library will temporarily close later this Spring for refurbishment works to take place.
- (24/3/2016) New Visitor Information Point at Wakefield Cathedral
Wakefield Council has today announced plans to create a new Visitor Information Point at Wakefield Cathedral.
- (23/3/2016) New Plan to guide development in Walton
Wakefield Council's key decision makers are to discuss a Neighbourhood Plan for Walton which will be used by the Council to help make decisions on future planning applications in the area.
- (22/3/2016) People asked for ideas on future of the district
A new initiative has been launched to seek out residents' and business people's ideas about the future of the district.
- (22/3/2016) Castleford’s Queen’s Mill project gets help from Wakefield Council grant
Refurbishment plans for one of Castleford's important historic buildings have been given a significant boost by Wakefield Council.
- (22/3/2016) Council urges people to report any concerns of child abuse
Wakefield Council is urging people to be aware of the signs of child abuse and to help tackle it by reporting any concerns.
- (15/3/2016) Wakefield’s domestic abuse service opens seven days a week
Wakefield Council’s domestic abuse service is now available seven days a week – making it even easier for residents to get help and support.
- (15/3/2016) Restoration work starts on iconic Pontefract building
Major restoration work has started on one of Pontefract’s landmark buildings, which will see it transformed to its former glory.
- (14/3/2016) Café business opportunity at Pontefract Castle
Tenders are being invited from Yorkshire businesses to operate a café in Pontefract Castle’s new visitor centre when it opens in late summer this year.
- (14/3/2016) Council offers free dog microchipping
Wakefield Council is offering free dog chipping to help dog owners in the district meet the new legal requirements.
- (9/3/2016) New website launched to help people find retail jobs
Wakefield’s first dedicated retail recruitment website – www.flair4retail.co.uk – has been launched in partnership between Wakefield Council, Jobcentre Plus, Trinity Walk and The Ridings Shopping Centre to help more people into work.
- (9/3/2016) Council Leader supports the Construction Projects Minimum Standards Charter
Wakefield Council Leader, Councillor Peter Box CBE, has today shown his support for construction projects in the district by signing a Minimum Standards Charter alongside members of the three local unions for construction - Unite, UCATT and GMB.
- (9/3/2016) Feasibility study for new leisure facility in Pontefract Park
The feasibility study, looking into a new multi-purpose leisure facility in Pontefract Park, is now underway.
- (8/3/2016) May 5 is coming - Nomination briefings for prospective election candidates
Wakefield Council is inviting those who wish to stand for election at the forthcoming local elections or Police and Crime Commissioner elections to a pre-nomination briefing session.
- (8/3/2016) Applications open for top apprenticeship programme
Wakefield Council is this week opening applications for its nationally recognised apprenticeship programme.
- (8/3/2016) Vote for your market trader of the year
The hunt is on to find Wakefield’s Market Trader of the Year 2016.
- (3/3/2016) Wakefield Council’s Budget for 2016/17 has been approved
Wakefield Council’s budget for 2016/17 has been approved at a special Budget meeting of the Full Council. There were 46 votes for and eight votes against the proposal and two abstentions.
- (3/3/2016) “Keep It Out” campaign targets illegal tobacco sellers in Wakefield
Wakefield Council is supporting a regional campaign that aims to further reduce supply and demand for illegal tobacco, including stopping dealers who sell to children.
- (2/3/2016) Councillors to discuss Good Growth plan
Councillors are to discuss a 'Good Growth' plan which sets out the Council and its partners ambitions to improve the long term economy of the Wakefield district.
- (2/3/2016) Next Preloved market on 5 March
South Elmsall Market is hosting a Preloved Market on Saturday 5 March selling everything from arts and crafts to vintage and collectors’ items.
- (1/3/2016) Homeowners urged to apply for heating scheme
Homeowners in the Wakefield district on low incomes could be eligible for a fully funded heating system thanks to a new scheme.
- (1/3/2016) Councillors to discuss change to Discretionary Business Rate Relief Scheme
Senior Wakefield councillors are to discuss changing the business rates relief scheme which could set new rules for charities based outside of the district.
- (1/3/2016) Councillors to discuss extending mortgage scheme to help older homeowners
Wakefield councillors are to discuss extending a mortgage support scheme to offer advice to older residents at risk of losing their homes.
- (1/3/2016) Council supports residents to get gardening
Wakefield Council is supporting residents to get more involved in their environment and improve their health and wellbeing by taking part in a local gardening competition.
- (1/3/2016) Castleford’s Three Lane Ends play area to get new play equipment
Castleford school children are getting the chance to have their say on plans for new play equipment at the Three Lane Ends play area.