- (23/2/2016) Major creative redevelopment deal to complete Wakefield’s Waterfront regeneration
Wakefield could become the ‘creative hub’ of the North as over 100,000 sqft of derelict buildings are set to be transformed in a landmark deal, which will see the City’s historic Waterfront regeneration project finally completed.
- (22/2/2016) Young people from district elected to Youth Parliament
Young people will have their voices heard after new members of the UK Youth Parliament (UKYP) were elected.
- (22/2/2016) Make a difference – become a Shared Lives Carer
Wakefield Council is looking for people to care for adults in their own home.
- (22/2/2016) Success for 10th Food, Drink and Rhubarb Festival
Wakefield city centre welcomed thousands of visitors over the weekend as the Festival of Food, Drink and Rhubarb returned for its 10th year.
- (19/2/2016) Wakefield councillors raise concerns about fracking in debate
Wakefield councillors have unanimously called on the Government to ensure the final say on planning applications for fracking are made by local councillors, representing the views of local residents.
- (19/2/2016) Wakefield councillors share concerns about government housing plans
Wakefield councillors have debated their response to the Government's new draft Housing and Planning Bill.
- (19/2/2016) Residents urged to have their say on plans for cycle and pedestrian ways
Residents are being encouraged to have their say on plans for a new cycle and walking route that connects the Smirthwaite estate to Normanton town centre and railway station.
- (17/2/2016) Community Infrastructure Levy to be introduced
A new charging system is being introduced by Wakefield Council which could pave the way for some extra money to help towards the cost of providing roads, parks and playgrounds.
- (12/2/2016) Statement about closure of Wakefield Magistrates' Court
Last year Wakefield Council voted unanimously to oppose the closure of Wakefield Magistrates’ Court, calling for the service to be retained.
- (11/2/2016) Councillors to debate housing and fracking at Council meeting
Wakefield councillors are to hold two major debates to discuss fracking and the future of housing in the district.
- (10/2/2016) Councillors to discuss renewal of Langthwaite Business Improvement District scheme
Councillors are to discuss renewing a business scheme which has brought hundreds of jobs to the south east of the Wakefield district.
- (9/2/2016) Young Enterprise Trade Fair returns to Wakefield on February 13
People are invited to come along to the next Young Enterprise Trade Fair which is being hosted by Wakefield Council.
- (9/2/2016) Festival of Food, Drink and Rhubarb returns next week
Celebrity chefs will be cooking up some tasty treats at this year's Festival of Food, Drink and Rhubarb.
- (9/2/2016) Council aims to ‘Build Wakefield’ with help of housebuilders
Wakefield Council is working to tackle the housing shortage by building better partnerships with the region's small and medium-sized housebuilders, starting at an event later this month.
- (9/2/2016) Council reveals budget proposals for 2016/17
Almost every Council service will be affected in the next few years as yet another set of Government cuts hit Wakefield.
- (2/2/2016) Preloved Market coming to South Elmsall
South Elmsall Market is hosting its first Preloved Market this Saturday (6 February), selling everything from vintage and collectors' items to arts and crafts products.
- (2/2/2016) Cabinet on Tour – budget special
Wakefield Council's next Cabinet on Tour event is taking place in Castleford where the Council's Cabinet will be setting the budget for 2016/17.
- (1/2/2016) Wakefield Council launches hard-hitting campaign that highlights 16 cancers linked to smoking
Every year 375 people from the Wakefield district discover they have cancer caused by smoking