- (24/11/2015) Wakefield Council awarded White Ribbon Status
Wakefield Council awarded White Ribbon Status
- (20/11/2015) Wakefield’s university centre moves one step closer as major funding confirmed.
The Leader and Chief Executive of Wakefield Council have welcomed the news that Wakefield College has been awarded over £3m funding to help bring a university centre to the city.
- (19/11/2015) Council Tax Support Scheme approved at Council meeting
Councillors have voted to keep Wakefield’s local Council Tax Support scheme in place for another year. The scheme is supporting thousands of adults on a low income.
- (19/11/2015) Council remembers Paris terrorist attack victims with one minute silence
Councillors in Wakefield stood for a minute in respectful silence for the victims of the Paris atrocities last Friday.
- (18/11/2015) Council appeals for considerate driving through residential areas
Wakefield Council is urging motorists across the district to drive considerately and safely at all times, especially in residential areas.
- (18/11/2015) Pontefract and Castleford get ready for Christmas lights switch-on
The festive spirit is coming to Pontefract and Castleford as the towns gear up for their Christmas markets and lights switch-ons.
- (18/11/2015) Wakefield Councillors to discuss report to further strengthen positive work to tackle Child Sexual Exploitation
Senior councillors are to discuss a new report which sets out actions to further strengthen how the district deals with Child Sexual Exploitation.
- (18/11/2015) Limited edition comic book available at Wakefield Museum
Copies of a limited-edition comic book celebrating the life of famous naturalist Charles Waterton are now available for people to collect from Wakefield Museum.
- (18/11/2015) Could you support a young person leaving care?
Pat Summerscales has helped over 40 young people to learn the vital skills they need to become independent adults - through Wakefield Council’s Supported Lodgings scheme.
- (18/11/2015) Councillors to discuss policy on illegally imported animals
Wakefield councillors are to discuss a policy on how to deal with rabies susceptible animals (cats, dogs and ferrets) which are suspected of being illegally imported.
- (17/11/2015) Wakefield Council set for a “takeover” by young people
Wakefield Council is to join organisations across the country in a national day to give children and young people the opportunity to see first-hand how decisions are made and how the Council is run.
- (17/11/2015) Cabinet on Tour returns to Wakefield
Wakefield Council’s Cabinet on Tour returns to Wakefield at the newly refurbished Grade I listed Town Hall to give people in the opportunity to have their say.
- (17/11/2015) Be free from fear
Wakefield Council's Domestic Abuse Service officially launches next week to coincide with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.
- (17/11/2015) Wakefield Council steps in to preserve oldest building in Pontefract
Wakefield Council is to start legal action to preserve The Counting House, Pontefract’s oldest surviving building in the town’s Market Place Conservation Area.
- (17/11/2015) Care arrangements for older people to be discussed by Wakefield councillors
Wakefield councillors are to discuss modernising the type of care offered in the district.
- (16/11/2015) Wakefield Council joins forces with rest of Europe to pay tribute to people who lost their lives in Paris attack
Wakefield Council has today (Monday) joined with the rest of Europe to pay tribute to those who lost their lives in the tragic attack in Paris on Friday.
- (12/11/2015) Wakefield Council launches Breathe 2025 campaign to inspire a smokefree generation
Wakefield Council is urging people and organisations across the district to sign up and support Breathe 2025, a new campaign to inspire children to grow up smokefree and protected from health harms caused by tobacco.
- (5/11/2015) Town End Junction – the final phase starts December
The final phase of work to improve Town End junction in Pontefract will now start in December.
- (5/11/2015) Free parking for Christmas
Wakefield Council is offering some free parking to make it easier and more affordable for residents to do their Christmas shopping in the district.
- (5/11/2015) Wakefield gets winter ready
Wakefield Council is preparing to make sure the district's roads, schools and residents are prepared for the winter weather.
- (3/11/2015) Expert in Parliamentary voting to give talk in Pontefract
An expert in the history of Parliamentary voting is teaming up with specialists from Wakefield Council to give a talk in Pontefract about the history of elections.
- (3/11/2015) Council events for aspiring teachers
Anyone interested in becoming a teacher is invited to one of our special open evenings where they can find out all they need to know about training – from a teacher training provider rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted.