- (28/9/2015) Reminder to respond to information about people eligible to vote
Reminders are being sent out to households in the Wakefield district to remind residents to respond to a request for information about who in their home is eligible to vote.
- (28/9/2015) Normanton and Featherstone libraries welcome new children’s theatre production
The Man on the Moon theatre production of the award-winning picture book by Gateshead author-illustrator Simon Bartram comes to Normanton and Featherstone Libraries next month.
- (24/9/2015) Wakefield Council named as ‘Local Authority of the Year’ at prestigious award ceremony
Wakefield Council has been awarded 'Local Authority of the Year' at the Insider Yorkshire Property Industry Awards 2015 by the property and development industry.
- (24/9/2015) Pontefract North by-election result
A by-election held yesterday (Thursday 24 September) in the Pontefract North ward of Wakefield Council resulted in Labour holding the seat.
- (23/9/2015) Second Priority Project has started on site in Pontefract Market Place Conservation Area
Work has started on site to repair a key building in Pontefract town centre as part of an initiative to help protect the town's local heritage.
- (23/9/2015) Comic book to celebrate life of Charles Waterton and his achievements
An exhibition showing the development of a comic book illustrated by three top artists which celebrates the life of Wakefield's famous naturalist Charles Waterton is to be launched on 30 September.
- (22/9/2015) Wakefield celebrates parkrun’s first birthday
Parkrun in Wakefield celebrates its first birthday this weekend.
- (22/9/2015) Pontefract North Ward by Election – 24 September 2015
Voters are being reminded that a by election is to taking place this Thursday, 24 September 2015, due to the resignation of Paula Sheriff MP, who represented the Pontefract North No 12 Ward on the Council.
- (21/9/2015) Official presentation of a Wakefield Star to family of the late Kate Taylor
The family of Wakefield historian, the late Kate Taylor are to be presented with a Wakefield Star in honour of her contribution to exploring and understanding the past.
- (16/9/2015) Councillors call for Magistrates’ court service to be retained in Wakefield
Councillors in Wakefield are fighting to keep a Magistrates' court service in the district following Government proposals to close 91 courts and tribunals in England and Wales.
- (16/9/2015) Council calls on Government to re-think trade union legislation
Wakefield Council has strongly rejected the Government's amendment to the Trade Union Bill an "unnecessary attack on workers' rights and civil liberties."
- (15/9/2015) Wakefield Council improves domestic abuse services in the district
Residents will find it easier to access Wakefield Council's domestic abuse services in the district from Monday 21 September.
- (14/9/2015) Free meals in Wakefield to highlight food waste
Wakefield Council is teaming up with its waste management partner Shanks, to offer one thousand free lunches to residents in an event to highlight food waste.
- (14/9/2015) Wakefield Council and other agencies take action over unauthorised camp
Wakefield Council has led a multi-agency group with West Yorkshire Police to carry out an operation to tackle anti-social behaviour at an unauthorised camp in the district.
- (14/9/2015) Wakefield Council set to beat target on carbon emissions
Wakefield Council is on track to beat its own carbon emission target for 2015/16, according to a Cabinet report being discussed on September 22.
- (14/9/2015) Wakefield Council seeks much needed adopters and foster carers
Wakefield Council is reaching out to residents to see if they can provide a loving home for a child or young person.
- (14/9/2015) New Castleford to Wakefield Greenway plan
Senior Wakefield councillors are to discuss plans for a new cycling and walking route to link Castleford to Wakefield.
The project would be funded by a £2.9 million City Connect grant.
- (13/9/2015) Stoptober helps people quit smoking
Residents in the Wakefield district are being urged to sign up to the Stoptober challenge - ahead of the introduction of a new law on October 1st that will ban smoking in cars so that children don’t breath in second hand smoke.
- (9/9/2015) Heritage Open Days at the Castles
Wakefield Council is supporting the national Heritage Open Days with Pontefract and Sandal Castles holding events next weekend (12 and 13 September).
- (9/9/2015) The Hepworth Wakefield welcomes Cabinet on Tour
Wakefield Council’s next Cabinet on Tour event is to take place at the award-winning gallery, The Hepworth Wakefield.
- (9/9/2015) Next step in Wakefield’s review of leisure services goes to Cabinet for approval
A new multi-purpose leisure centre for the Five Towns could be one-step closer if Wakefield’s Cabinet give the go-ahead for feasibility study to get underway.
- (8/9/2015) Regeneration in the south of Wakefield moves a step closer
Wakefield Council continues to transform and improve the city with several major regeneration projects moving towards completion.
- (8/9/2015) Apprentice Hub extended after reaching its target
Wakefield Council is extending its apprenticeship programme after successfully reaching its target – a month early - of placing 300 apprentices with businesses across the district.
- (8/9/2015) Diabetes foot care team nominated for health care award
A specialist diabetes foot care team in the Wakefield district has been selected as finalists for a health care award for assessing and treating foot complications caused by the diabetes .
- (7/9/2015) Castleford hosts Roman Festival this weekend
Castleford is celebrating its Roman heritage this weekend with a festival taking place across the town centre.
- (6/9/2015) Wakefield offers support to Syria's refugees
The Leader of Wakefield Council has confirmed that Wakefield Council will continue its long- standing commitment to offer refuge to families fleeing conflict and persecution and has given his support, in principle, to the call from Yvette Cooper MP for the country’s cities to take 10 refugee families.
- (2/9/2015) Britain’s first Secret Ballot Box takes centre stage in national celebrations
Wakefield Council is celebrating British democracy by bringing Pontefract’s Secret Ballot Box to Westminster and talk about its significance in the history of British politics.
- (1/9/2015) Wakefield Council Leader supports devolution bid
Wakefield Council’s Leader, Cllr Peter Box, has today confirmed that the region’s Council leaders are to submit a bid for devolution this Friday (4 September).
- (1/9/2015) Wakefield Council backs free cycling skills course for students
Wakefield Council is supporting a free cycling course to teach 16-19 year olds in the district how to survive and thrive in city traffic.